Friday 20 December 2013

A quick two week recap before Christmas

Week of Dec 2

Seems like we spent the whole week with Nicole and her kids. After dropping Mike off at work on Monday we went to Supervalu to do some grocery shopping then I stop by Nicole's house to drop off some items she left at the house from Saturday. I didn't plan to stay very long but we ended up just hanging out and letting the boys play most of the morning. Once we left there we headed back to the house to do a little cleaning and cooking for the day so Monday was pretty much gone.  Mike that we were going to have some turkey leftovers for dinner but I surprised him and had chicken I'm saving all the turkey leftovers from my turkey and grits for breakfast...Yum!!!!  There was nothing special going on Monday night, just hung out around the house play with the kids had dinner put the boys to bed then after that we went to bed ourself. 


Tuesday I had planned on going to the coffee morning in Douglas but ended up getting an invitation from one of Nicola friends, now my friend too to go to a EUmom Christmas celebration. I had tried to sign up Monday night for the event but it said it was all sold out so Nicole and I decided to just meet at Costas and have a coffee then head over to the event and see if they would let us in.  So in that Amanda at the hotel and we talk to the ladies at the gate and they said it was okay that we come in even though we didn't have a ticket. I guess since it was a free event it wasn't that big of a deal I think they just didn't want to have too many people for that venue but I'm sure there was a lot of people that signed up to say they were going to didn't go so there was plenty of room for us. It was actually a pretty nice little events, there was pictures with Santa there was also a life-size Buzz Lightyear and Woody and some other characters, free coffee and cookies for the moms and kids and even face painying... it was nice. Lino was really impressed with the Buzz Lightyear and the Woody he just stood there for a few minutes when he first saw them and just stared at them. Finally I was able to convince him to take a picture with them instead of just looking at them and he was really excited about that. Unfortunately he didn't have on his Toy Story T-shirt otherwise it would've been perfect. 




I was even able to get a picture with Leno and Sean with Woody so that was pretty cool. 





Then we ended up taking pictures with Santa Claus and the boys that really good and actually look at the camera so I got a very good picture of them on my real camera. This is only the second time was taken picture with Santa Claus with the first being last week so it's really a big change for me. It's not that I don't like the Santa Claus I just never got into it so I guess the boys are getting bigger will be seeing Santa more often. The good thing about Santa Claus is that I use him as a tool to get Lino to do what he supposed to do so I tell him if he's being bad Santa Claus will give him any toys and usually he straightens up. I really hate doing that but if it works it works and sometimes I just need a little bit of a break... it's tough work fighting with a 3yr old. So we let the kids run around for little while then they sat down to watch a magic show but Lino wasn't very impressed so he kept getting up. After we spent a couple hours there was getting time for lunch in time to go so we packed up and just went over to the bar area to have lunch. We thought we would have the carvery there but it wasn't open yet so we just got something off of the menu for the kids. Lunchtime at a restaurant with 5 kids is not very fun let me tell you that... It's more like a battle then lunch. I don't understand why kids don't want to just sit and eat but they don't ... anyway we eventually were able to get some food into the kids and then we all went our separate ways.  I invited Nicole and the boys over after Cian got out of school so she said she would give me a ring if Cian didn't have any homework to do.  So we went back to the house and played for a while and Nicole was able to come over with the boys so that was nice.  So we hung out that afternoon and they boys had lots of fun playing together while Nicole and I worked on the TV. We've been trying to get our TV to work with the sky cable every since Sept with no luck. We thought getting a cable from the states would work but it didn't so Nicole's husband had an idea what might be wrong so we fooled around with that stupid box for like an hour and still couldn't get it to work. We did at least get a different error message so that was a little progress. Then I finally decided just to call sky and see if they could help us out. Honestly I was really worried that they would be able to help but it would take several weeks for them to send someone out. And I kind of just didn't want to be bothered with it since we don't watch any Irish TV anyway. But I called and the guy was pretty helpful and he was able to send out a technician next week so that was better than I expected.   It was nice to have a little help with the cable, it made me feel good to have a friend help me out.  Anyway Nicole and the boys left and we finished making dinner before having to leave to get Mike.   He thought it was funny that I tried to fix the cable but didn't have any real progress but I told him I got further along than he did so it was progress...he is always trying to give me crap about stuff...doesn't he know I know I'm the sh^t??? Hahahaha...well at least now we know one day soon, we might actually have Irish cable!



Wednesday we did the normal drop off routine then Shaun and I had to go downtown to get our PPS numbers...like a Social Security number. I had heard it was a real pain like going to the DMV and it was kind of. It took almost 2hrs to get thru all the nonsense and I was so activated because it didn't have to be that long. There was a bunch of paperwork that I had to fill out in front of the agent. If I could have filled that stuff out before hand it would have saved me at least 30min. Then I needed all this documentation for the boys and I didn't have one thing for Shaun so it was almost like I wasn't going to be able to proceed with the application because I didn't have it but the lady seemed to forget about telling me I couldn't appt for Shaun's number and she went ahead and processed all of our information. All I had to do was mail in the form that I was missing so that was a bit of a relief for me. The relocation lady was there with me and I didn't want to have to come back with Shaun and not have any help...that would have been a real pain in the ass. So anyway I think we are all set...we will see in a few weeks I guess. So we raced back home and I had a few min before having to get Lino so I looked up GP's in the area because I needed to register Shaun with one to have proof he is a resident...what a pain. So I picked Lino up from school and we went to the GP in Glanmire to get registered. I needed them to sign this form saying we were registered but the lady said the Dr actually had to see us before she could sign the form...really??? Is that really necessary???? I have to make an appt to see the GP even tho nothing is wrong as I'm going to have to pay €50 to have someone sign a form saying we are registered!!!! I wanted to shoot that lady I was so annoyed but I needed the form filled out so I had to do it. So she was able to get me an appt for later that afternoon so at least I could get this done today.  So in the mean time we went to the store to get some things for dinner then headed back home for a little until it was time to go to the GP.  We went back to the GP, sat in the waiting area for 30-45min then talked to the GP for maybe 10min and she signed the form. All that and €60 later...60 freaking euros for a signature...I had the documents that I needed for the PPS people. Thank God that is done. So I put it in the post right away so that the application wouldn't be delayed.  After that we ended up meeting up with Nicole and the boys at the park for a quick afternoon outside.  When the weather is semi nice you really have to take advantage of it quickly so we headed to the park.  The weather wasn't too bad it was cold but at least it wasn't raining wet. Actually wasn't really that cold at all ... it was cool.  We stayed for a while and Nicole told me about a place I could go to print pictures so I figured I would go there before getting Mike.  Just as we were packing up to go it started to get dark like it was going to rain so it was perfect timing to leave.  We headed over to the Harvey Norman shop and I was able to get the pictures made that I wanted to do for Christmas.  I had to kind of design my own card which ended up being a little bit more work than I had expected but it worked out ok.  The cool thing was that my prints printed right away so we just hung out around the shop until they were done.  The bad part was that I was a little late getting Mike but since we were so close he just walked down to the store to wait with us.  He was also impressed with the pictures and the cost so I guess I made a good decision with the cards!  So off to the house we went for a quick dinner.  Lino was pretty pooped from the day so it was pretty easy for Mike to put him to bed.  Shaun of course wasn't ready to go to bed so only Lino went to sleep Shaun ended up staying up late with Mike & I which wasn't too bad. 


 



Thursday was coffee morning in Midleton but unfortunately I couldn't stay long. I have to go to the store before I went to the coffee morning because I needed some more things for dinner. It seems like I go to the store almost every day I still can't get used to this. Before we left Texas we were barely going to the store once a week because I had the whole week planned out as far as meals and groceries but here it's totally different. Anyway I got my few bits and headed over to the coffee morning for my short visit...it was short but it's always nice to be able to get out of the house for a few minutes and have a chat with the other girls. Then race to pick up Lino then back to the house for lunch. Nicole gave us a call during lunch to invite us to the play area in Mahon Pt so we went ahead and did that after Lino got finished eating.  We ended up walking around the mall for a while doing a little window shopping and a little Christmas shopping.  The boys were going crazy about going to the play area so we had to cut the shopping short and headed up to the play area.  When we got there we thought Lino & Cian would be running around together having a good time but they both ended up sitting on one of the structures watching TV!  Seriously boys???  We come all the way here so that you could play together and you guys want to watch TV?  I don't get it...eventually we were able to get them to move away from the TV and actually play but it seemed like it took forever.  While we were there one of the moms that Nicole & I know came to the play area too so we sat and talked to her for a little.  While we were sitting there Lino started wrestling with me so I was tossing him all over the place and they were both looking at me like I was crazy.  I guess I'm pretty rough with him and I didn't even realize it but I'm OK with it.  He doesn't mind being tossed around and I think it makes him a tougher kid so its not an issue for me but it was funny to see their expressions when I was body slamming him.  Also, when he is coming at me full force ready to play I have to be ready to defend myself or else he is going to really hurt me and I can't have that :-)   So after a couple hours of playing it was time to head home...I had to pick up some sausage from Tesco so we stopped there before heading to get Mike. The evening was relaxing, we actually had a little family time which was nice. 




Friday was my relax day so nothing to report. Saturday we took our traditional Saturday walk and train ride to the city. It was busy busy with all the Christmas shoppers.  We had heard about the Ferris wheel down in the city so we wanted to check it out. There was also a little Christmas display in the park near the Ferris wheel so we wanted to check that out too. Once we got down by the festivities we realized it was like a little carnival going on. There were a bunch of street venders selling food and candy and of course they all were cash only places and we didn't have any cash so I had to go get money. While I went to get money Mike and Lino went to get in line for the Ferris wheel. I figured I would be back in time to get a picture of them but I had to freaking walk 5 miles to get to an ATM and once I got there there was a line   It seemed like it took forever but finally I got cash and got back to the ride but they were just getting off so I completely missed it. Mike said Lino really enjoyed it so that was nice. So we got a little candy at the sweet shop, because that is what you so in Ireland then Mike saw a BBQ place with a huge smoker and he made me go ask them about their wood. He is on a mission to find wood but he doesn't want to ask anyone about it, he wants me to ask. So I felt bad just asking about the wood so I got a sandwich too and made it like part of the conversation but I don't think the guy was buying it. He told us his brother gave him the wood, apple, oak and something else and I told him we were looking for apple wood but he didn't go any further. I could tell he was being protective about his secret recipe. Then as we were walking off Mike was like "I could make better BBQ than him and sell it here!" Oh brother, I thought he just wanted to BBQ for us but now he wants to go into business and give this local guy some competition...how funny.  Next we decided to go thru the little Christmas in the park, it was little but it was nice. It took all of 10min to walk around the place but it was nice. We could have stayed another 15min to wait in line to take a picture with the Christmas themed sleigh but it really wasn't that cool and not worth the "que" so we just kept walking.  Lino enjoyed walking around and everyone in Cork talked about this little exhibit so we had to do it.  Now that we had finished all of our sight seeing for the day we headed back to the train station.  Its crazy because it was only around 4 something but it was already getting really dark.  So we knew it was going to be a crazy walk home because by the time we get off the train it was going to be past 5...and that's exactly how it was.  I was all worried and nervous and Mike didn't think any thing of it.  I was freaking out because we didn't have any reflector gear on or any lights other than our phone lights so I wanted us to hurry but Mike didn't think it was that big of a deal.  So we walked up the small little road to the house and we thought we wouldn't see very many drivers but we actually came across 4 just on that little road.  I had my phone light pointing behind us, in case a car was coming up from behind and Lino had Mike's phone light pointing in front of us so that we could see in front of us.  I'm telling you it was a little scary...I could barely see 1 foot in front of us even with the light.  Somehow we made it home safely but not without me annoying Mike to death about being nervous and about it being crazy for us to be on this little road in the pitch black!!!!  I guess there was not much we could have done at that point but I just wanted Mike to feel a little worried too but he didn't...oh well.  We survived and it wasn't the end of the world.  So we had a nice day out and we were all pooped at that point so we just lounged around the house for the rest of the day.

Sunday we relaxed around the house and did our normal grocery shopping.   Another week down and a couple more weeks until we are back in the states for the holiday's...I can't wait!!!!






Week of Dec 9


Monday we decided to go to Gymboree with Nicole so after we dropped Mike off we came home to finish breakfast then headed over to Go Safari.  Lino seems to be on the fence with Gymboree but he likes the idea of hanging out with Nicole and Senan so it usually works out.  He seemed to have a good time today so it worked out for us...and Shaun always enjoys the singing and music.  We usually end up staying all day when we go there but today Lino was actually ready to go so we packed up and was out of there before 1.  I didn't really have anything else planned for the day so we just went home and tried to find something to keep us busy.   We ended up just watching TV because I'm a horrible mom but at least Lino was happy.  Nicole and I had talked about doing a boxing class today but she had something else to do this evening and I was suppose to go to a Cuidu meeting so we decided to push that off until after the new year.  So since I knew I was going to be out this evening I made sure dinner was ready for us to eat as soon as Mike got home.  Even before I went to pick Mike up I reminded him about tonight and that he had promised to watch the boys so that I could go and he gave me the murp murp face via text but said he would do it.  But once he actually got off of work he was feeling so bad, he had been getting sicker the last few days and it seemed like he was going to be done with the cold by now but it was just hanging around.  So he was giving me a sad story about him still feeling bad and that he was tired and he didn't think it would be good for him to watch both boys tonight and I was getting so annoyed.  But I knew he was sick and tired so I couldn't be too mad.  So I helped him get Lino ready for bed and was about to get Shaun ready to go with me but he said he would keep him...made me day!  I knew he really wasn't up to it but he wanted me to be able to go to the meeting kid free for once so I was very happy that he stepped up to the plate.  It would be the first time that he would be at home with the boys by his self!!!!  I told him I wouldn't stay long but since this was my first meeting I really didn't know how long it was going to last.  So I raced out to get there and of course I ended up getting lost.  So instead of it taking 20min to get there it took me more like 30 or so...ugh.  It doesn't help that there are no street names and trying to find a new place in the dark is even worse...but eventually I found it.  I know I could have called to get more directions but I knew that I would find it myself...it just took a few extra mins.  But it was nice to be out without any of my boys...even the car ride was nice...so quite...AMAZING!  So my first committee meeting was fun, had lots of good food and good conversation.  I wasn't quick to join any groups but I really am excited about being apart of the team so once I get my feet a little wet I think I'll feel more comfortable joining some of the groups.  I did get put on the events committee which is cool because I like having parties so hopefully I can be of some use/help with the Cuidu events...guess we will see.  So the quick meeting actually lasted for like 3hrs and Mike was getting worried about me and even called me to see if I was OK...I thought he was calling to say come get Shaun but he wasn't.  But eventually it was time to go so I headed home and didn't get loss and my boys (Mike & Shaun) were happy to see me!  Shaun did good he said and even took a little nap after I had left so that gave Mike a little break at the beginning of his assignment.  I was glad to hear Mike wasn't going crazy....that means I can leave Shaun home with him more often ;-)



Tuesday was coffee morning and playground.  Wednesday & Thursday was school for Lino and a little clean up time for me.  Friday was lazy day...ah I love lazy Friday!!!  I did need to do a little shopping because we were planning to make Christmas cookies this weekend so I did that on Thursday & Friday but that was pretty easy.  The hardest part was trying to find 2 things on my list...Christmas cookie cut outs (like trees, snowman, candy cane stuff like that) and Crisco!!!  Thankfully my trusty friend Nicole knows all the things a new American would need to find in Ireland.  I searched high and low for some nice cookie cutters and only found crap ones at SuperValu.  I even went to the home store, aka Bed Bath and Beyond and they didn't have any Christmas ones.  I thought it would be pretty easy to find a bag or box of them at the store but it ended up being a serious treasure hunt...that I didn't win.  And asking for Crisco in the grocery store was a joke too...which I expected.  But anyway Nicole helped me out with both.  I actually saw her in the store on Friday when I was going to get the Crisco replacement and she offered to let me borrow her cookie cutters so that was a sweet deal!  So after I finished my shopping I went over to her house to get the cookie cutters then headed home.  I got all our stuff for baking and we were set for the weekend!

Saturday we got up had breakfast and skipped going for a walk because we had to get on the cooking before Mik'es work Christmas party. So that what we did...we made 3 different types of cookies on Saturday - Egg Nog Snicker Doodles, Almond Finish Cookies & Butter cookie Cutouts. I didn't have enough time to ice the Cutouts and make the last batch so we did that on Sunday. We actually had a good time making them. Lino helped a little but mostly he just wanted to "taste" all the ingredients. It's a Cutaia tradition to make cookies for Christmas so I'm glad we got to do it!!! After slaving over the 15 dozen cookies that we made we hurried up to clean up the kitchen really quick so that the place didn't look like a complete bomb exploded in it. I raced to get ready while Mike got the boys fed and then the sitter came so we knew we were running behind. So Mike got ready we have our few instructions and we raced out to the party. We were running a little later than Mike wanted but we actually made it in good time. The party was nice, really nice...almost weird like actually. It was more like a wedding reception than a Christmas party. There was a cocktail hour with free drinks and hors d'oeuvres, then followed by a sitdown four course dinner, they had a live band and even more free drinks during the first hour or so of dinner. It was a heck of a party we had a good time we even stayed until it was almost over which was close to 2 o'clock in the morning!!!  When we got home Clina said that the boys were very good so you're happy about that. Shaun even slept for about three hours while we were gone so she didn't have too much fussing out of him actually.  She said she didn't have very much fussing out of him at all so he was much improved since the last time she watched him. Lino was sleep and all we had to do was put Shaun down to bed and we crashed as well... what a busy but fun day. Sunday we tried to sleep in but the boys were up fairly early as expected so we just moseyed around the house for a while until we went shopping. Since I have finished up the cookies I gave Nicole a ring and told her we would drop by and drop off the cookie cutters so that she can have it for when her mother came to town on Monday. So we went to the grocery store to pick up a few things... I had decided on Saturday that we needed to make the Italian Christmas cookies because it's one of my favorites and everyone usually likes him so we need to get some ingredients for that. Since we were just going to go to the store and then back home we just bumped it and left in our path PJs have workout clothes even the boys were still in their PJs. We went shopping then we stop by Nicole's house to drop off the cookie cutters I just was going to drop them off but she insisted on us coming in. After fighting with her at the door for a few minutes and trying to letter know that the boys were not dressed for company we went in just to have a coffee...at least that's what I said. We ended up spending a couple of hours there and I felt so bad because the boys looked like hobos and Mike & I didn't look much better...thankfully we are friends so I know she wasn't judging me. It was a nice time anyway so I'm glad we gt to stop by. After our morning coffee and buscuit visit we headed back home to finish up on the cookie baking & decorating then to make dinner.  We had a good week but it was busy and I'm excited for Christmas. 

The cookies that we made. 
Egg Nog Snicker Doodles

 
Almond finish cookies...yum

Butter Cutout Cookies...finally decorated

Italian Chriatmas Cookies...my favorite recipe that my mother in law always makes me...so darn good!!!




 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I don't know if you remember me, I used to take care of Lino from when he was a baby to when he was about 3! I love love love reading your blogs. I came across your stories somehow, I think it might of been through the KA website. Well I'm in Physical Therapy school right now and I have no time to read at all, which is what I love to do. I love to read everything you post because I feel like I get to escape from my studies and travel to a different country for a second. Please don't ever stop! Unfortunately there seems to be some delay, your post from December 5th didn't show up until yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evett, I actually do remember you and it's crazy that you found my blog. Glad you like it. It's been busy here so I'm a little behind so that's why the delay in the post. I hope to post about our Christmas break by tomorrow but we will see. Hopefully you won't judge me to much by my spelling, I'm a horrible speller and typing on the phone, at night and in a mad dash doesn't lend to good English or spelling. Good luck to you in school and I'll keep blogging...don't worry!

    ReplyDelete