Tuesday 24 September 2013

The many questions of Lino

can't believe the weekend is over all ready and that we are back to the grind again...oh well. So instead of my normal boring recant of my very routine days this week I had to capture all the little statins and 100 layers of "why" questions from my son :-)


Monday:  

We got up and ready, dropped Mike off for work, went to playground to stall before going to the playgroup.  Went to the playgroup, saw a mom I know named Alex, went to swings with Alex after playgroup, chased Lino down because he was determined to chase after all 50 dogs that were at the park, went home and Lino napped in the car, cleaned, played with Shaun then played with Lino after his nap. We "rearranged" the train set because Lino insisted but I knew Mike would not be happy about that because he spent a lot of time working on the train...oh well. Mike got home we had dinner, I called my GG and talked to her for a while while the boys were in the tub (it was so good to hear her voice) then bed for the boys!



Lino: Why is it raining?
Me: This is Ireland, it's always raining!
Lino: Why???
Me: Because it is. 
Lino: Why???
Me: Because the clouds have a lot of moisture in them and they have to let it out every once in a while and when they do it rains. 
Lino: Why???
Me: Ugh....because Ireland is an island and is in the middle of the ocean so there is a lot of moisture in the air so that means it's going to rain a lot. 
Lino: Why???????
Me: BECAUSE


Lino (at the grocery store): Why do we have to buy food?
Me: So you can eat it. 
Lino: Why do I need to eat it?
Me: Eat what? 
Lino: Food
Me: To make you big and strong!
Lino: Why???
Me: Don't you want to be big and strong like daddy?
Lino: Why mommy???
Me: So you can be big and strong and be a big boy.




Tuesday:


Shaun is starting to get a little fussy lately and I can tell his mood isn't the greatest and he refuses to sleep in his bed...oh well...once the teeth come out I hope he feels better.  Last night I had a nightmare that we were moving to a house (that I loved when we saw it) in Carrigaline. I was in a pain because I couldn't believe we were going to move...again!!!!  Thankfully just a dream but such a nightmare just to think about it. 


Up and ready as usual. Dropped Mike off then we headed to the playground to playground before playgroup, Lino had a tantrum so we left playground early and went to the store to get some groceries. Then to playgroup, then back home where Lino & Shaun slept in the car and I cleaned. Lino ate a granola bar for lunchish then we played with the trains until Mike came home. Had dinner, put the boys in the bath while Mike cleaned up then to bed while we watched a little TV.  We missed the start of Americas Next Top Model so the first episode that we saw, today, kind of threw us for a loop...girls and guys? Crazy. I know it's crazy to watch ANTM but I'm addicted to the craziness and it's funny so we watch it...Mike mostly watches it because I make him but we also see it as competition because we always try to see who can guess who's getting eliminated...it's the little things that make us happy!

Oh so today I looked at the forecast for the week and saw nothing but cloud cover and rain and it made me remember back when we first got here the weather forecast was so bright and sunny. I think those days are gone for good...or at least for the next 9mo. I hope at the end of this gestation period a sun is born!!! Hahahaha

 

Lino: What are we doing today?
Me: dropping daddy off at work
Lino: Then what?
Me: Going to the play group
Lino: I think that's a good idea!!!

That kid is funny




Wednesday:


Shaun is 6 months old today!!!! 



Up, Lino and crew had breakfast while I tried to tackle my hair before the drop off. Mike was excited because we left about 15 min earlier than normal and he told me to make a SOP for it...I told him to shove it! Then explained that I didn't even get ready, washing and drying my hair took most of my time so I just put on clothes and came downstairs. Not a routine that I would like to repeat if I didn't have to. So we dropped Mike off and headed to school but we were really early so we sat outside for a while. I dropped Lino off, came back home to finish my hair, picked Lino up, made lunch, Lino napped while I cleaned, after nap we played in the playroom for a while   Mike came home and we had dinner, played, bath then bed. 



Lino: Mom, where are we going?
Me: To school. 
Lino: Why are we going this way? (Because he knows which way is school)
Me: Because there is a lot of traffic the other way and I want to go around it. 
Lino: Why is there traffic there?
Me: Because of the school. 
Lino: Why?
Me: Because there are a lot of mommies and daddies dropping their kids off at school like mommy drops you off at school so it's really busy on the road. 
Lino: Why is it busy on the road?
Me: Because there are a lot of cars and people and kids but the road is rally small so it makes it really busy.
Lino: Why is the road small???
Me: Because this is Ireland...all the roads are small. 
Lino: Why?
Me: Because...well...I have no idea that's a good question. I guess it's just like that in Ireland.
Lino: Why is it like this in Ireland?
Me: Who knows
Lino: Why...Why...Why...

He wasn't happy with any of my many attempts to explain Ireland and I think that's because I didn't understand it myself :-)

Playtime...they each have their favorite toy and section of the room...it's funny. Although when I first left then in the room Shaun was on the left by the green chair and blue toy but miraculously he made his way over to the widow.  How did that happen?  I'm sure Lino didn't pick him up and move home over there like I've told him a million times NOT to do!!!!!

But Lino loves being a big brother and showing Shaun how to play with the toys the right way...that's all ME!


Water babies...


Lino made me take this one so I figured I'd put it in the blog. He's veery demanding when it comes to taking pictures...he gets that from me :-/








Thursday:


Another nightmare last night that made me laugh when I got up...I had a coffee morning at my house but it was acomplete disaster!!! I didn't have any coffee and my water pot was too small then I wasn't being a good host and didn't offer anyone anything at all...why am I freaking out about coffee morning??? Guess it's because my 2nd attempt at scones last night didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Oh well that just means I have to try again. At least the batch I made last night were pretty tasty, just need to work on the texture :-)

Today I went to coffee morning in Midleton and was late getting Lino from school...bad mommy. I made a brown butter banana cake that didn't turn out as good as it sounded...need to make a formula adjustment for the next time. It was good enough to much on but needed a little more sugar. I think it's because I didn't use butter, I used this butter for baking instead and that usually worked for me but for this cake I think I need the real 100% butter. Oh well, I'll repurpose it into French toast on Saturday.  So Lino decided not to take a nap today so I went with it to see how it would go...it ended up with Lino pooping his pants, getting a diaper rash from it (because I didn't change it right away) and him screaming because he didn't want to take a shower but that's the only option when he has a poop and then the nice part of all this nastyness was he went to bed about 1.5hrs earlier than normal which meant some extra free time for us!!!!!! Not sure it was worth it but I did enjoy the free time. 

Lino: Why do I have to go to school?
Me: So you can learn
Lino: Why?
Me: So you can be smart and have a job like daddy and make money!!!
Lino: Why do I need to make money?
Me: So you can have money to buy you a fast car, a house when you get bigger, clothes and all the chicken nuggets and French fries you want!!
Lino: Ohhhh
I can't believe that was enough to satifiy his curiosity.  



Lino: Who's that?
Me: Your teacher
Lino: Why is he my teacher?
Me: SHE is your teacher because she teaches you at your school
Lino: But why?
Me: Because she teaches you things you don't know. 
Lino: Why don't I know things???
Me: Because you're only 3 and there is a lot of things to learn and a lot of things you don't know. 
Lino: Why???
Me: Because there is a lot to learn, like what's 2+2, why it rains, how to read...stuff like that. The teacher teaches you all that stuff so you can be smart. 
Lino: Why I'm smart?
Me: Why do you want to be smart?? So you can have a good job when your bigger and make money!
Lino: Why???
Me: Because....I told you earlier 


Me: Take another bite of your food Lino, it's almost time for your nap. 
Lino: Can you help me
Me (with Shaun attached to my boob): You can do it. 
Lino: No, you can do it. 
Me: Lino, you can feed yourself. Plus I'm feeding Shaun. 
Lino: Is that a little ridiculous? 
Me: hahahaha...yeah, that's a little ridiculous

That saying he gets from his daddy. So funny when he says it back to you tho. 



Oh yeah the sun came out for a few hours this afternoon so I put the clothes out to dry. I knew it wasn't warm enough to dry the towels so I out those in the dryer and 2hrs later, after being on high heat, I come back to damp towels and a puddle of water at the bottom of the dryer. WTF???? Why is there water at the bottom of the dryer?  These dryers suck...so annoyed. 








Friday:


Lino slept in today...had a rough night I guess. Otherwise it was business as usual. I dropped the money maker (Mike) and the banker (Lino) off  then went to Mohan Pt to do some shopping. I spent almost 2.5hrs getting groceries and looking for a cook book because I'm obsessed with cooking new recipes now. In the end I only got a toddler beginners cook book for Lino and I to use...when he's a big boy. I guess I'll get a real cook book for me at some point.  I also got all the stuff we will need for lasagna for Sat because we are having Martha and the boys over for dinner while her husband watches the hurling match...it's the finals...a big deal!!  Then home to drop the groceries off really quickly then pick Lino up.  At school Lino made cookies and I let him eat one but told him he couldn't have any more because he had a diaper on...I'm hoping one day that will mean something to him because as of now it means nothing to him at all...he doesn't care. I guess he won't graduate from high school in diapers...right?!?!?  We came home and I made another cake, a blueberry lemon ricotta pound cake, that Lino helped me with then I had to try and find my new friend that I gave horrible directions on how to get to the house.  After I called her to give her better directions I looked at the directions that I sent to her and realized that I told her to go left when she should have gone right and right when she should have gone left...what a mess. I felt so bad but she didn't seem to be too bothered by it which was nice.  So after I gave her better more accurate directions Lino Shaun and I went outside to wait for her...to give her a better chance of finding us.  While I was outside looking for her I met the neighbors across the street...super nice. And once my friend made it to the house I also got another unexpected car pull into the driveway...come to find out it was another neighbor. Everyone is so nice and friendly...love it here. So our guest stayed for a while and enjoyed the cake that I made even tho I kind of destroyed the top of it. I put it on the second rack to cook and when I tried to pull it out to check it the top of the cake scrapped off from the top rack. Seriously Renee!?!? Anyway it tasted delicious even tho it may have looked like a small animal mangles the top trying to get an early taste :-)   It was nice to have company but I felt like I spent the whole time apologizing for the house...I need to not do that. But it was nice and I made plans to visit her next week, it's nice to have somewhere to go with the kids. Once they left it was almost time for Mike to get  home so we waited for him outside. Then we had some family play time, I fixed dinner then proceded to throw half of Lino's bowl on the floor and wall...such a mess. We ate, Mike got ready to go...he went to the city center for a retirement party, I put the boys in the bath then put Lino to bed. It was another early bed time for Lino because he didn't have a nap. He wasn't in a horrible mood but he was totally ready to go to bed. I'm not sure if we can continue the no nap routine because he is a litte cranky by 5 but we will see.  Shaun was ready to go to sleep too but he fell a sleep sooner than I expected so I had to put him on the couch for a minute...I wanted to make sure Lino was sleep before I went back upstairs...didn't want to wake him.  So I had a couple if hours to myself...that never happens!  But I miss my hubby so I hope he gets back soon. 


Lino: Mommy, your eyes are brown. 
Me: Yup
Lino: Your eyes match like my eyes. 
Me: Yeah, they do!!! You're right. 
Lino: And Shaun has blue eyes. 
Me: He does??
Lino: Yup, he has blue eyes like daddy. He matches like daddy's eye. 
Me: he sure does. 
Lino: I match like mommy and Shaun match like daddy!
Me: You are so smart!

Now let's see if he ever picks up on the skin color and if he does I'd be couriois to see who he matches...he is so amazing and smart. Love that kid. 



Someone was pooped





Saturday:


Lino slept in a little, that means he slept til half 7 which was nice.  We had a little family time then had breakfast and raced out of the house to walk to the train station. We made it just in time which was nice. Went shopping for a few things, got coffee and ran into Michelle and talked to her for a while, got invited to a birthday party which was nice but we were already running late for the train so now we were really late so we started running to the station but I dropped Mikes coffee :-(   So we knew we were going to miss the train and I felt bad about dropping his coffee so I told Mike I would go get him another one. He didn't want to go get it because he didn't want to look like an idiot getting another coffee within 10min...whatever. So I went to get him a replacement and Mike took the boys to Penny's to get a hot water bottle for Shaun...picture below. Then we headed to the train, walked home and started making dinner for our company. The kitchen was a reck but we got everything done pretty quickly. Martha and the boys came over and we had a nice evening. Mike made a killer lasagna and Martha really enjoyed it...the boys picked at it but that's what they do. Shaun really enjoyed the lasagna too, he couldn't get enough it was great.  We had a nice evening and Lino & Partick had a ball...they are really starting to be really good friends and it makes me happy that he has a friend. After they left we cleaned up and had some FaceTime with Nini then we put the boys in the bath and in bed. We waited about 30-45min to long to put Lino in the bed because he was a mess, over tired, but eventually he crashed. Then we watched the Greys Anatomy season premier which was wonderful!! I love that show...then Mike and I fussed about the dishes...neither one of us wanted to be bothered so I just did it...we were so tired and cranky it was time to go to bed!




Lino: Let me see the pool
Nini: The pool is sleep Lino
Lino: No it's not sleep it's awake
Nini: It's sleeping Lino, you can't swim in it. 
Lino: Why?
Nini: We had to close it because it's going to be too cold to swim so you won't be able to swim when you come here. 
Lino: Why is going to be cold?
Nini: Because it's going to be cold in a little while and you won't be able to swim. 
Lino: Why?
Nini: It's going to be really cold and snowing so you can't swim. And it's going to be winter time so you can't swim so you have to wait until it's warmer to swim again. Is that OK?
Lino: No
Nini: Huh
Hahahaha

Hot water bottle...apparently this contraption is commonly used as a heat source in the winter. Some mums put it in the kids bed so when the get into their beds at night it's not a cold bed. Some moms use it just to warm them up instead of turning on the heat or starting the fireplace. I will be using it both ways for sure but mainly to get Shaun to sleep in his bed a little longer, hopefully, so that I don't have to act as a heat source for him. We will see how it works...it was only €6 so it wasn't a bit investment if it doesn't work. 



Best buds!!!





Sunday:


Lino must have been over tired because he was up for a hour last night crying to get into our bed. Thankfully Mike dealt with him while I had Shaun. He tried to leave him once but Lino wasn't having it and just kept crying so he ended up staying in his room for like 30min until Lino was completely out of it...rough night. Then Shaun was up at 7 and soaked thru his diaper so I tried to sneak downstairs to get a diaper but Lino heard me in the hallway so I just got stuff from his room and Lino came back in the room with me. Since there was no going back to sleep for Lino we just got up and let Mike get a little rest.  We cleaned up the play room because I was going crazy with the clutter then we had breakfast, Mike got up a couple hours later and had breakfast, then we went shopping. Lino and Shaun slept in the car so I stayed with them while Mike went to get a few things. They woke up about 45min later so we all went in for groceries. We spent way to much for the few things we got but we wanted a complicated dinner so that's what happens. Then home to prep and play outside. Lino had been going to the potty all day and had a dry diaper so we tried to get him excited about that. So we let him play on the swings, I chased after him all afternoon, we raced around the house, Mike chased us...it was a nice afternoon.  We had a little FaceTime with TT then had dinner...crab cake appetizer, pancetta & mushroom risotto with steak...yum yum. Lino wasn't interested on what we had so him and Shaun had rice and meat. Shaun was killing it and I wasn't feeding him fast enough because he kept grunting at me...it was funny.  My mom FaceTimed with us while we were eating too and that was nice. I got to see all the veggies in her garden. It's a nice hobby for her so I was happy and surprised all at the same time.  After dinner it was bath and bed. I pre-cleaned the kitchen while Mike maned the boys then bed time. I'm not sure of Lino was just super tired or just in a bad mood but it took a little extra work to get him to sleep today but it wasn't that bad thankfully. Then football time for us. We got to watch the Cheifs play and kick the Giants butt which was nice then I talked to my dad for a min, we watched a little of the Jets game then bed. We are super pooped from this weekend for some reason. 


Before


After

Before 

After



Lino: Why do we need to tidy up?
Me: Because this room is a mess
Lino: But why 
Me: Because all your toys are everywhere so we need to pick them up and put them in there place. 
Lino: Why?
Me: So you can find them when you want to play with them.
Lino: Why do I need I find them 
Me: So I don't have to! 




Shaun enjoying his dinner of rice with the meat. I couldn't feed him fast enough. 


Mike slaved over dinner and it was really good. We had crab cakes to start (not so good but it wasn't his fault) then had steak and pancetta & mushroom risotto...he is obsessed with perfecting his risotto recipe so I'm sure we might be having this every Sunday until the recipe is perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment