Monday 5 August 2013

August Bank Holiday Monday...

Today was a beautiful day and of course we slept in...kind of. Mike was in the usual spot, Lino's bed, and Lino was with me. Lino is so cute, I was trying to keep my eyes closed because I didn't want to wake up and Lino was like "are you woke mommy?" in a whisper. I told him no and he said "are you still tired? Do you need some more sleep?" still whispering of course and I couldn't contain my laughter and just broke out laughing. He got a big kick out of that and was not letting me close my eyes any more. So we got up for breakfast and he fed himself ...for the most part. Then after his breakfast he went to wake Mike up so they could go to the pool. He was so excited to go and he couldn't wait for Mike to wake up, I don't blame him. So they got there stuff together and went to the pool while I tried to make a cake...tried is the key word. I have no idea why I was in such a hurry to make a cake especially without all my kitchen equipment. We had bought all the ingredients yesterday and we picked up a measuring cup since there wasn't one in the hotel. The only issue is that the measurements were in metric and the recipe was in imperial...what a conundrum :-)  But thankfully I have a unit converter on my phone so not the end of the world. All was going good with the prep until I got to the part where I was suppose to whip the butter and sugar until fluffy and light...what the heck??!!! I didn't read that far down the recipe and I didn't have a blender of course...so I had to improvise. So first I had to figure out how much butter to use and I thought it said 1cup so I just dumped the whole block into the bowl (cereal bowl mind you) and put it in the microwave for a few sec to get it nice and soft. Since I didn't  have a blender I needed it to be soft enough for me to hand whip. Then I was about to add the sugar when I realized that I only needed 185g of butter not the 225g that I put in the bowl...oops. So I dug out "a little" butter...a good estimation I would say, added my sugar and whipped away. I did some fancy baking if I don't say so myself. I wasn't sure if it was going to come out good because when I got to the end of the recipe it said to bake on medium heat for 1.25hrs...what the heck is medium heat?? 200F? 300F what???  I wasn't exactly sure so I went with 300F and headed to the pool to see Lino and Mike. The batter looked weird too so I had no idea if it was going to work or not.

The pool was weird because everyone has to wear a swim cap. Apparently Mike & Lino were in the pool without their caps and one of the staff members came to give them one. I asked Mike what that was all about and he had no idea either...weird but ok. Lino didn't like the cap rule at all...wouldn't wear that cap for nothing...thankfully no one complained. I guess everyone was super impressed with Lino too. They couldn't believe he was just 3 and swimming that well...that's a nice complement. Anyway, the daddy & son had fun, as always, and Lino didn't want to leave. 






Went back to the apt to get ready for the circus and I pulled out my creation to see how it was doing...the middle was still a little "loose" but the rest of it was done. I didn't feel like bothering with it so I just took it out. I knew it wasn't going to be exactly right so I wasn't worried about the middle. I figured we would eat some of the outer part then I would probably have to toss it anyway (probably will spoil before we eat it all). Anyway I was happy with the end result and so was Mike. We couldn't stop nibbling on it...it was super moist and sweet, almost as good as the first time I had it... I can't wait to put a little ice cream over it tonight for dessert. Definitely going to be adding it to the Cutaia recipe book...and I will have to make it for the coffee morning that I have at the house...when ever that is. 


Before heading to Carrigaline for the circus we stalled Lino for a little, we had about 1.5hrs before the circus...we weren't sure if Lino was going to take all day to get out of the pool so we had a lot of buffer time in there. So before we left we told Lino we were going to fix the train track. In its original configuration it wasn't able to use the switch boards that I put on it because they were going in opposite directions...it took both of our brains to figure it out but finally we did it. Lino was so annoyed with us because we kept destroying the track and putting it back together again and he didn't like it at all. Once we got the tracks right we were able to let the train run the course and Lino was able to change the direction with the switch board...he was excited but I think Mike & I were more in to it than he was...but it was good family fun. Then off to the circus. It wasn't a very big circus and anyone who has been to the Ringling Brothers Circus would not be impressed but it was pretty good for Lino and Ireland. The only disappointment was that there were no animals...well I guess that there was one animal...the pony that you could pay 2€ to ride. And the ride is 2 small circles...so 1€ a lap...insane...but Lino had to ride the pony. And of course Lino wasn't happy with just one turn so we spent 4€ on about 1 min of fun. Those guys guiding the pony were not playing around, I think they were about one step away from a jog!!!  They went so fast that Lino went 2x while Mike went to the restroom and he never got to see him ride...and that was us getting back in the massive line for the 2nd go around...so it was fast. Anyway Lino loved it, he loves animals. And I think he enjoyed the circus too. He was acting a little weird at first because he didn't like the loudness inside so he kept his hands over his ears most of the show...because he said it was too loud. But by the end he was ok with it...I hope nothing is wrong with his ears..,he has this thing about loud noises already so it makes me a little worried. Anyway, we all enjoyed it...even Shaun...he couldn't take his eyes off the performance. 



I had to scream at the guys in order to get a pic...they were not slowing down for nothing. 


They look grumpy but really they were totally into the performance and I thought I might be able to capture the moment but the slow flash on my phone gave it away and the just looked at me like I was crazy :-)

Back at the apt, we decided to get a drink at the bar before going back to the room...the weather was so nice we had to enjoy it. So we sat out on the balcony and Mike and Lino went to get the drinks while I sat with Shaun and started to blog. Since I was being a bad mom, Shaun decided to play with the bag of popcorn that we had...he was happy happy so I didn't bother taking it away from him. Then a few min layer I thought I heard the popcorn being dumped out and to my surprise I see Shaun Shaun covered in popcorn... And loving it!!! I'm such a bad parent, but he enjoyed it and it was a cute pic too. 


Enjoying our cold pints on the balcony

Lino & Shaun...they love each other so much...we are so lucky. 

After that was dinner and time to get ready for the next day. When Lino & Shaun were in the bath Lino asked me why are we in a hotel??? He was so serious too, so we went thru the 100 layers of questions about us moving to Ireland and waiting on our house to be ready and all that...he was ok with everything except that fact that daddy was going to work in Ireland for 3yrs. For some reason that didn't sit well with him or he didn't understand the 3yrs part he kept asking "why 3 ears?" Too cute! Well tonight Lino was in bed by 10:15 so we ate getting closer to his normal bed time...but I fell asleep too...its dangerous to have mommy lay down with him...I'm for sure going to go to sleep. Thankfully Mike put Shaun to sleep and woke me up before he went to bed. Well at least there was no crying, only a little fussing after he played candy crush...I can't believe my 3yr old is addicted to candy crush. That is really sad...but I can't blame him, his daddy and Nini play that game all the time so he was bound to pick up the habit as well.

What a good day...and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment