Friday 30 August 2013

Moving moving moving...

Friday:

Well lets just say we are all glad it's Friday...Lino had a horrible night of sleep and ended up in our bed earlier than normal and Shaun was/is sick so he wasn't sleeping to well so he was basically sitting up in my arms all night...the poor baby. Lino, the tornado, was just wiggling and moving and turning  but not sleeping so when Shaun woke his self up from not being able to breath thru his nose it was bad news. Lino thought that meant it was time to get up so I tried to keep Shaun laying down but he couldn't breath thru his nose so I had to get up and try and get some of the snot out. Lino tried to follow so I had Mike run some defence.  It was working for a while until Shaun started to cry and Lino wanted to come see what was going on. Mike made him stay in the bed so that I could finish what I was doing and when I went back into the room Lino was a mess so Mike took him back to his room. He screamed in there with Mike for about 5-10min before he calmed down but it seemed like hrs then Mike came back. I thought Lino was sleep but Mike said he was just laying there...so you know what that means...here comes Lino a min after Mike. We gave up and let him sleep...that is the last time!!!! So he didn't go right to sleep it seemed like it took for ever before he went to sleep and only 30min or so later Mike got up. Once mike left and Lino felt the cold side of the bed he was up and woke Shaun up too. Great...  It wouldn't have been so bad if Lino was in a good mood but whenever he super tired its always a nightmare...so me and Shaun getting out of the bed just set him off. He screamed the whole hr before we left for school. There was hardly any reasoning with him so at that point we just had to do what needed to be done and couldn't wait around for Lino to try and find his happy place place.   So that just meant more headache for us to get him ready but we survived. I had to put Lino in his place once because he was really going off the deep end then he seemed to find a semi calm place and was fairly reasonable the rest of the morning. We ended up putting a diaper on him because we know when he's tired he will just pee his pants...probably to get back at us. So that was a fight of course...we almost decided not to take him because we were worried he was going to get his self kicked out for being so unruly. But since he calmed down a little I went ahead and took a chance. I warned his teacher and Mrs Joan that he might be off and they didn't seem to be to worried about it...good luck!!!  

So 3hrs without Lino...I need to be efficient.  I had to stop by Supervalu first...seems like I go grocery shopping every other day (the fridge in the apt is pretty small). I was able to get 7 out of the 9 things I wanted to get so not bad. Then back to the apt for a quick little break...I needed a moment. So I had a half a cup of coffee and a scone...the moment went by to quickly...


Next, tend to Shaun for a min...poor sick baby...all he wants is for me to hold him. Then prep for dinner so that maybe I can have some free time when Lino takes a nap. Then wash, fold, hand up clothes...it's such a donating task here. Something that should take 1-2hrs could take 10hrs-2days...absolutely ridiculous. I know I've complained before but I'm pretty sure I'm going to complain about laundry the whole time we are here. By this time it was time to go get Lino...time flies. On the way there I actually saw a cop or Garda posted under the bridge trying to catch speeders...he had one of those speeding guns and everything...I didn't know the Garda actually do that. I thought only the bus catches speeders...good to know.  So I actually got there a few min early...I thought but the kids were already lined up waiting for their parents. Lino apparently had a good day and was happy to see me...that was nice. So I had a quick chat with Joan and she seems  to think Lino is doing well and getting adjusted well...he just doesn't like to stop play time but that's pretty normal for Lino. It was good to hear he was getting settled into the class and still enjoying it. On the drive home I just knew he would fall asleep especially since he missed the last 3hrs of his sleep this morning but nope he stated up...great now that means I'm really going to have a hard time getting him to take a nap.  At least I knew he was hungry and lunch time shouldn't be a fight. He told me I'm the car he wanted a peanut butter and a cheese sandwich...now if he eats them both that would be cool. He actually did eat both half sandwiches so that was nice. I repeated my same trick from Thu about setting the timer and it worked again...Lino was out within 20min I think.  He likes the idea that he doesn't have to go to sleep he just have to lay there until the timer go off. Little does he know he's for sure going to go to sleep before the 2hr timer goes off...so it's a win win for both of us. Now it's time to try and get Shaun to take a nap. Every time he tries to sleep I end up moving him or changing his conditions and he wakes up...so I know he's tired. I was finally able to get him to sleep around 2 and I knew the alarm was going to go off at 3 soooooooooo...guess I should close my eyes too!!! I couldn't lay Shaun down because when I tried he would start gasping for air so I held him and I fell asleep on the couch with him. For some crazy reason I couldn't sleep long and my eyes popped open after about 20min of laying there (15mim of actual sleep) and I couldn't go back to sleep. Are you serious?!?!?!? (Another famous Lino phrase). Oh well I'm sure Lino will be up soon...well Shaun was up not to long after that so I guess it was only meant for me to have a little nap. So I did some more laundry and Lino's was stirring so I made his timer go off. He told me he was still tired so I just sat with him for a little while until he woke up...I had Shaun help me a little which seems cruel but its only payback for all the times Lino wakes Shaun up. Thankfully it was a very good wake up and he was in a good mood!!!!!  So we hung out for a while until it was time to go...today we get the keys to our house...FINALLY!!!!!!!

Lino wasn't really keen on leaving but I got him to go once I told him he could run around at the house. Mike was running late so we met on the main road to the house so he could follow me there...he wasn't really sure how to get there. Once we got there the owners and the relocation lady walked us around and explained all the little things to us...like how to work the oven so that I don't have the same chicken incident.  How to work the fridge, washer, dryer and freezer. Mike walked around with the husband and asked all the man questions...where's the water heater, how to work the electric heating, where's the 1000 fuses...stuff like that. I told the owner that I wanted to start a herb garden and I wanted to know if that was ok and she took me over to the one that the tenets before us had started...sweet!!!! So we already have a huge rosemary bush, some curly parsley, lavender (what I'm going to do with this I'm not sure...maybe fragrance the house with it), raspberries, strawberries and a time of roses. I think there might have been a couple more things there like onions but it looks like they were from last year and needed to be replanted which isn't an issue. I wonder of we could grow garlic out there??? I know I'll be able to have a basil plant in the house which we will use all the time but I have to find something else to put in the garden and be able to use it...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So that was nice and it got me really excited to move in. We also found out that the horses that they use to have are gone so the land in the back can be used for whatever so if we have a big part we are going to have a massive volleyball area...can't wait!!!! Now we just needs a nice outdoor furniture set.  We are so cheap we only have the one that Mikes parents gave us 6yrs ago and I think they had it for at least 5yrs too so needs less to say we need an upgrade but not sure we will be getting one here...it's going to be way more than one in the states. Otherwise it was good. We will start to move the boxes that we have in the apt to the house over the weekend. Lino had a ball too...he just ran around the house like 10x...just because. He also pee'ed his pants 2x because he was too busy running around the house that he didn't stop to pee...that kid is going to drive me to drink...drink more than I already drink :-).  Once everyone left Mike and I tried to decide where to put all the crap we have on the boat ad we both where at a loss...lets think more about it over the weekend...hahahaha. So we have keys to our house and a nice bottle if wine and flowers to welcome us home...only a couple of days until we are HOME!





Well we kind of wasted a bunch of time at the house so we decided to go back to The Fish Wife for dinner. We had a nice stroll there and back and Mike was able to do the night time routine with little fuss from Lino. Lino even wanted him to set the timer so he knew when it was time to get up...this is like a wonderful new tool for getting Lino to go to sleep...why didn't we think of it sooner!



Saturday:


Everyone slept in...and slept in the bed. We had family bed cuddle time which was nice then we got up to go. Since this is our last weekend in the apt we have to go to Liberty Grill one last time....hahahaha...any excuse to go there. The weather seemed like it could go either way so we (not including Mike) dressed warm...just in case. The walk down to the city was nice, it was still a little early so the streets were not completely filled with people, there was a nice breze and the sun was trying to peek out...going to be a nice day in Cork. We got to the restaurant in good time again and the waiter knew how many were in my party before I could even say hello...I guess we have been here quite a bit :-/  So we had a little 15min wait which wasn't bad...everyone got their normal and in true Cutaia fashion...3 Saturdays of going to the Liberty Grill, 3 meals always the same and 3 consecutive Liberty Grill poops by Lino!!!!!   Hahahaha.   



Then to complete the tradition we headed to Mikes favorite chocolate/coffee shop for a coffee and brownie. We got to hang out there for a little while and chat about the house and some of the things we need to do when we get in. We also talked about our garden that we are both pretty excited about. We have no idea what we are going to do with all the rosemary but I'm sure we will be able to find some recipes to use it.  We spent the rest of the morning just hanging out in the city center. Did a little shopping, finally found plain white socks for Lino...it's crazy they. Love their crazy designed socks here and it's almost like a game to try and see if you can find plain whites for the kids. I'm sure at some point I'll be ok with the other socks but for now I would just prefer to keep it simple. We looked for a bike shop for Mike because he is going to start taking his bike to/from work but we didn't see one on the way...we will find it later. By this time the weather had changed and now our long sleeves were too much for the weather and Mikes summer attire was perfect...go figure. Someone told me that you kind of have to wait until its around 10:30am to get dressed in order to have a better idea how the weathers going to be...so true. Either do that or dress in layers so you can add and subtract as needed throughout the day :-).  I'm sure we will figure it out eventually.  Then back to the apt for a little nap for Lino. Mike put him down for his nap and use the timer trick and it worked really well...3x in a row!!!! I think it's safe to say that's a good method to get Lino to nap & sleep with the least amount of fight. While Lino was napping we tried to watch TV on the sling box but it was still really choppy...too many users on at the same time so we just played with Shaun...kind of...he is still sick so he was a little cranky...poor baby. I needed to do a little laundry so I let Mike handle Shaun and this is what happened ...hahahaha. 


After nap we tried a new method to wake up Lino...Mike found a Thomas the Train YouTube video and was playing that kind of loud in the front room while the timer alarm was going off in Lino's room. Within 2 or 3 min Lino came running into the front room all smiles because he was excited about Thomas...sweet move daddy!!!  So we planned to go to the playground after nap since the weather was so nice but Lino didn't want to let go of the iPad. He had found some YouTube video about an airplane game simulation that was 45min long and he kept telling us we could leave after it was over...uhhh I don't think so little guy. We tried to negotiate but he wasn't really in the mood to negotiate so we had to strip him of the iPad and take him out kicking and screaming...you know...the normal method. He wasn't happy at all but after a few min in the car he finally got over it. He was happy to be at the park, I think, so it was worth it. Today Mike was in charge because I'm always on playground duty plus I had Shaun in the sling. Lino was running around from swing to swing but not really riding or playing with any...he seemed content but just wasn't interested in riding...ok. So while he was playing Shaun and I sat in the cushioned playground area and were playing. We were next to this spinning thing and eventually Lino wanted to ride it then Mike wanted to ride it then I felt left out so I rode it too. It was fun but I couldn't spend very much time on it because I was getting dizzy. Lino tried to push us but it wasn't as easy as he thought it would be...it was funny. At some point I had to feed Shaun and went to sit on a bench in the corner and I caught Mike talking to the guy on the bench with him. The guys son and Lino had found some bug on the slides and the were "playing" with it...the poor bug. It was more like Chinese torture or something because the little beetle like bug had wings but wouldn't or couldn't fly away...poor thing. Anyway the boys were showing their dads what they had found and Mike and the guy must have sparked some conversation...I was really proud of my husband because normally he's a true NY'er and he won't talk to random people and even tho he's getting better about it he's really not to fond of random chit chat...but he did it today!


It's a bed pic because I was all the way across the playground but you get the point. 


After the playground we went back to the apt to get the stroller so we could walk to dinner... I totally didn't feel like cooking especially since we only have a couple more days left in the apt and near the city.  We let Lino bring his iPad so he could watch ad movie and let mommy and daddy eat in some piece. We had a good dinner but Shaun was just exhausted because he wasn't able to sleep much all day...couldn't breath so I had to keep walking around with him.  Then we picked up a little dessert (won't be having all this dessert when we get to the house because we are both getting fat...or at least not loosing any weight) and wine on the way back to the apt. We saw the aftermath of an accident on the intersection to the hotel...first accident we've seen. But there was only one car there and he was sitting right in their slow of the intersection...and his front bumper was smashed and on the street so he was causing quite the back-up. We were trying to figure out of he got hit of if he was the one who did the hitting...it was hard to tell. But it was funny because as we were crossing the street, with the long line of cars behind the car, the driver of the car behind the crashes one got out of his car (after sitting there for about a min) and asked "is there a problem here???"  Hahahahahaha...are you serious??? Mike and I were dying laughing...the driver of the crashed car was like "yeah...there was a crash! You'll have to go around."  I couldn't believe it, it was too funny. And it was also interesting that there was no Garda around to direct traffic or help the crashed car...just interesting. We make it back to the apt for bath and bed and Lino tells Mike to set the timer again do he knows when to get up...and he crashes...we could totally get use to this!!!



Sunday:

Time to start moving the crap from the apt to the house...so the morning was spent packing up crap and trying to get organized. 


It's amazing how much more room was in the apt once all the boxes and junk was moved out.  Shaun wasn't in the greatest mood when we were packing up the car...poor baby is still sick. 



Once we got to the house we unloaded and had to do some cleaning. I guess we didn't have to but the place wasn't super clean...it was a little dusty and most of the cabinets / drawers needed a fresh wipe because of the dust that had settled.  Mike had to go back to the apt to get another load so stayed with the sleeping boys and started on the cleaning...they love to sleep in the car. 



The boys love to sleep in the car!!!  They slept for about 1.5hrs in the car so we decided to meet at Tesco and get our groceries and some moving in items. I used the timer to wake Lino up and he was in good spirits and nice and rested...good deal!  Shopping was exhausting...not sure what we needed it didn't need exactly but I wanted to get started in cleaning so I kind of just got the stuff I needed and will take it back if we have it in the shipment.  Then back to the house where we spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and trying to figure out where we were going to put all of our crap. Lino had a ball running around and finding bugs to play with and Shaun enjoyed being on the ground and watching Lino so it all worked out. Once we were done cleaning we went to have dinner...decided we were done cooking at the apt. Then back to the apt for bat h and bed. We did FaceTime with my family and it was kind of sad because normally for Labor Day weekend we would be in KC with them but now we are all the way across the world.  Lino was already sleep by the time we got to FaceTime (he told us he was tired...again!!) so the only got to see Shaun and he was so intrigued by the video it was funny...he was full of smiles so that was nice. I told my mom about Lino telling us that he was tired and that he wasn't fighting us as much about going to bed and she just laughed because about a month ago she said he would eventually do this and I told her it would be at least 10 more years before he was telling me he was tired...I guess moms know best. After that Mike and I crashed because we were pooped from the day and excited to start the moving in the morning...need to be rested!!!




Monday:

Moving day!!!! Moving day!!!!  Mike could barely sleep because he was so excited about the move...I slept fine. We headed to the house with a load of stuff in the car but before we left I put out a load of wash because I figured I would be able to get it after lunch and we wouldn't have a billion dirty clothes. We figured we would check out after the movers left but we got almost everything out anyway so that we didn't have to worry about bringing a lot of stuff later...Hopefully we will be able to stay at the house tonight. So I left before Mike and once I get to the house the movers hadn't arrived yet. I wasn't sure if they were lost or not because I know I would be lost trying to find this house. But eventually they showed up and they said they had no problems finding it, they got "general" direction so everything was grand!!! So they had unloaded our container into two trucks, actually it was four total that they had to bring. They said that the container would never make it up this road and there would be no where for it to park which is what I was worried about initially. So let the moving begin...



Once the movers started unloading, we found out that he was going to take two days to get everything unloaded and they didn't think we would be able to stay at the house the first night because they wouldn't have the beds were together by that time. So that meant we had to call the hotel to let them know we needed to stay an extra night. Hopefully that wouldn't be an issue but later we found out it was a little bit of an issue. Apparently they had already planned for someone else to be in our apartment on Monday so that meant we had to go to a different apartment room for the night. That wouldn't have been an issue if we had know before we left that morning so we could have got everything our...we still had clothes outside drying and a few things inside the room too. We called the front desk to ask about the clothes and what not and they seem to not know where they were ...so maybe we lost a few items on our last day...oh well.  Otherwise we spent the day watching the movers move and unloading our stuff. Lino made sure to bless the house as well with a nice yard christening 


Some pics from the move...

Shaun enjoying some toys in the yard

Lino being a big helper with the move...the guy let him hammer the table and he thought that was the best thing in the world. 


While we were unpacking and tossing a bunch of crap that we packed for no good reason we stumbled across a used In and Out burger bag...now why in the hell would we pack a used fast good bag and ship it across the Atlantic Ocean just to throw it out????  Talk about stupid things we do...anyway it makes a good blog pic. 

End of day one and 4 truck loads of crap has been unloaded!!!!


Mike and I continued the unpacking for a few more hours after the movers left. We got the pantry and most of the kitchen done!!! Tomorrow we will tackle the bedrooms and the boys play room.  Since we are in between homes and because Mike needed to get on the Internet for his Fantasy Football Draft we went to have dinner at The Elm tree...really nice kid friendly place and super good food. Glad it's close to the house too...I think we will become frequent diners here for sure. Unfortunately Mikes draft was a bust...something wrong with the site so try had to reschedule it for Tue at midnight our time...doesn't look like Mike will be making it so my sisters boyfriend will draft for him...maybe.  Late night for the family and everyone is tired...only one more night in the hotel!!!! 



Tuesday:

Lino was up early so up we all were. We didn't have anything at the hotel...clothes, tooth brushes, bath soap, nothing...so we got up...changed Shaun's diaper, took Lino's diaper off and left :-). Got to the house and had breakfast..our first meal together in the house



Then we got to work on our bedroom...We had to stop about 45min later because we had to go to the Garda station to get our residency information filed. The relocation rep told us what all we needed and Mike was in charge of getting it while I got the boys together but half way there he realized he had forgot one document...hopefully they will still process us without it :-/  We ended up on Cobh (pronounced Cove) which is the last stop the Titantic made before...pretty cool. And whe we get to the Garda station a big cruise ship was just docking...the boys were sleep and since we didn't have one of the documents Mike just went in to see if it would be OK or not and I stayed with the boys. After 30min of waiting it seemed to be "no bother" as they would say here, so I got the boys and we went inside. Lino wasn't to cranky but I think it was the big boat that kept him in good spirits. So it only took 10min and we were pretty much good. We have to go back on Sunday to take pictures for our cards but that should be a quick visit too. On the way out we had to stop to look at the boat because Lino was just in ahhhh about how big and close it was. On the way down the stairs to see the boat I nearly fell to my death...had to take a picture and share with my old Dannon buddies...can you say "safety contact"!!!  I can't believe there was no gate or chains or nothing to stop you from going into the water...crazy. 







Then on the drive to the house we see this...just seems a little out of place...



Spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking. We stopped to have a sandwich from Fitzpatrick's but otherwise it was all business. The movers got everyone put together and moved around kind of like we wanted it and where gone before 4. We finally called it quit around 6 because we wanted to make sure Lino go to bed at a decent time since he had school in the morning...oh and my son decided not to nap today other than the 45min in the car on the way to the Garda at 9:30 so he was a mess with his pee pee's. Pee'd on the floor 2x because he was so busy playing with his toys that he didn't want to stop to pee. Eye yi yi...he's killing me. Anyway, we got our bedroom and the boys room unpacked and in order which was nice.  Lino needed to go to bed so I ran to KFC and got us a quick chicken dinner...it wasn't bad just sucked because they don't have crispy chicken...it's all original recipe...or at least it looked like it was. I did bath and bed while Mike finished up a few things.  

The boys first bath in the house!


We don't have any Internet or TV so Mike hooked up the computer and we transferred a movie from there to the iPad to watch. We probably should have went to sleep when Lino did but we wanted to have a moment to take in the fact that we were finally in our house...so we had a glass of wine and watched Inception...feels good to be home!

Oh and I saw the biggest spider scurry across the floor while we were watching the movie...it freaked me out!!!  Thankfully Mike was able to find and kill it!!!!  There are so many spiders here, I'm not OK with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment