Friday 9 August 2013

Trying to get Lino connected isn't as easy as it sounds...

Tuesday:

Another slow start...we took it easy this morning because we really didn't have any plans. Mike had already went to work by the time we got up so there really was no rush to get ready. So once we finally did get it together I decided to take the BOB out for a stroll...so we took a walk to the city center. Lino loved being in the stroller for some reason, must be because its new, so that was helpful. It was actually warmer outside than it looked so I started to break a little sweat...not enough to consider this a workout but who cares. So we walked around or a little while and I got some bars for Mike and we went back to the apt. Mike came to pick us up so that we could go to the park. Once we dropped him back off and got to the park Lino was ready to go...he had been strapped down for too long so he was ready to run around!! It seemed like we were having a good time at the park, there were lots of people there so lots of kids for Lino to play with...or so I thought. He kept trying to play with the kids and they kept running away from him. He would go and get on the other side of a 2 sided ride and the kid on the other side would leave...he kept looking at me like "why don't they want to play with me mommy" and it just broke my heart. He is such a trooper tho, he just kept trying to make friends and kept trying to talk/play with the kids but he had no luck at all. I just felt horrible. So instead if him playing with the other kids he basically spent the afternoon playing with me. He would make me ride with him and go down the slide and chase him and all that good stuff...it was fine for me I just thought he would have more fun with kids his age. Maybe it will get better. I don't know if the kids were scared of him because he would walk right up to them and start talking to them and they would look at him like he was crazy. Or was it that they are shy and don't like to play with kids they don't know...who knows...either way it sucked.  Then I saw a mom that I knew from the coffee mornings that I've been going to. She had her 3 girls with her and it was nice to have someone to talk to...they didn't want to play with Lino either but they are different ages and girls so I can't complain too much.  But it was cool to see someone that I knew, I think after a few more encounters and play dates Lino might have some friends. Only time will tell. So finally he was over trying (I think he was finally getting frustrated) so he wanted to take a walk around the playground. So we did. He had just as much fun playing with the bugs and jumping off the little bridge as he did trying to play with the kids. He found a family of lady bugs and had fun playing with them...he even made me take a picture of his friend. He was super sweet with them and didn't even smash them which he usually does with all the other insects that he finds...once he was done playing with it he let it go back on the wall...to get a drink of water I told him (wink wink). 

After our little walk I took him to the rising tide to get something to eat. He was a little hungry and I had nothing for him...I'm horrible...so unprepared. So we sat there for a while then went back to the park and I saw another mom that I know...crazy...2 moms in one day. That's totally a record for me!!! Even tho I was suppose to be getting Mike from work, I stayed at the playground for a little longer so that I could chat. She has a 4yr old girl and a 3mo old boy so another girl friend for Lino to play with...hopefully. Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that earlier the only people that would play with Lino was a group if girls around 9-11yrs old. They thought he was super cute and played with him for a little and then he chased after them for a little while too but it didn't last long. 

After the park we were suppose to go meet up with the lady from this past weekend and put an offer on the car we saw but we decided we better look at some other cars first before we just buy the first car we saw. So Mike will try to coordinate a time for us to see a few other cars this week and hopefully we will buy at least one car by the weekend...hopefully. Nothing exciting for dinner...and the same story for Lino's bedtime...still laying with him to get him to sleep...one day that will change I'm sure. 




Wednesday:

Mike had to go in early for a tour at work and since Shaun hasn't been sleeping very well these last few nights and Lino has been in the bed every night, no one was rested. So I just let him keep the car for the day and decided to take it easy this morning. Everyone was up and going before 8:30 which is a big change for Lino. I must admit I do love it when Lino wakes me up...he's so sweet and he knows I'm still tired so he whispers to me "are you woke mommy?" and I was able to get him to lay down with me for another 20 min or so which was nice. Once we got going, I decided we would take the train to Glounthaune...Lino loves the train. And as soon as I mentioned the train, Lino was moving in super high/fast gear...he was ready to ride the train and any little delay was totally unacceptable.  I figured I'd take them in the BOB to the train station and maybe Mike would pick us up after work since we were going to be right there...sounded like a good idea in theory. So we took a nice stroll to the station, the BOB is great, but not very easy to cart around...I'm not complaining because its meant for jogging not for strolling but we are trying to make it work for both purposes. At the station, Lino was ohhh'ing and ahh'ing everything...just as happy as can be. When I went to get the ticket I realized the train ride was going to be pretty short so I decided to extend our ride to the next town, 
Carrigtohill. I wasn't sure what was there but I figured I would waste a little time there since we had over 4hrs before Mike got off of work. So we get to the lane for our train and Lino starts in with a million questions about why the train wasn't there, where it was going and if the people are going to get onto the train...cute but a little much.  Anyway he was cute waiting on the train...with his shades on...cutie pie!!!!



When the train got there I had to take both boys out of the stroller so that I could  fold the monster thing up to get it on to the train...in the process I lost my sunglasses in the tracks...just got those darn things...then I had 2 people helping me to get into the train...hahahaha...I was a mess. Finally inside the train, I see Evelyn, the lady that I met at the Glounthaune playground a few weeks ago...man I'm on a role with running into moms I know. So we had a nice chat and she invited me to Fota with her one day which was nice. Everyone loves Fita but I don't think it would be worth it for us since a pass covers 2 adults and 4 kids but Lino and Shaun don't even count as kids so I would be paying €160 for me and Mike...it might just be cheaper to piggy back on the other moms that have passes and maybe split a pass with someone next year...anyway something to think about. So she was taking the train to & from the city because its easier to get on the train when going to the city vs driving into the city and paying to park and I think that's what we will probably do...the train is cheap enough and Lino likes it so why not.  She got off on the exit before us and I tried to talk to Lino but all I got was "uh hu" ... So into the train ride...


So we get to our stop and it wasn't as bad getting off as it was getting on...thankfully. Once we got off we had to take the elevator up to the bridge and Lino was all about pushing the buttons...it's the small things that make them happy. Then we just walk around the little neighborhood by the train station...and Lino ran! The was having a good time until a bee came chasing after him and I think it stung him. He was so upset..,the poor thing. He was trying to get away and I was trying to grab him and keep Shaun out of the bees view and then the bee went up by his shoulder and he shrugged his shoulders and it looked like he caught the bee with his neck and shoulder soooooo...ouch...I felt so bad. I scooped him up and started jogging with the stroller to get about if that area. The problem was that there were bees everywhere so he was all freaked out. It took a few min to calm down and for me to check the damage...I didn't see a singer but he had a little whelp so I'm sure that bee got him. So needless to say, not a great visit to Carrigtohill. Back at the train station we had about a 45mim wait until the next train so we talked about the train some more...it's amazing all the layers of questions a 3yr old can have about something as simple as a train. But when you start answering all the many simple yet complex questions you really realize that nothing is really simple...it's just amazing. I think I learn as much from him as he learns from me...lets just pray he learns how to spell from daddy :-)

So a quick train ride to Glounthaune and I got smart this trip...I didn't fold the stroller up...I just used those super duper tires to get in and off if the train...so much easier!!!!  I thought that was going to be the worst of my troubles but it wasn't. This station didn't have an elevator to take you to the bridge to cross over the tracks do that meant I had to push & pull the stroller up/down the stairs to the other side if the platform where
 the exit was. That part wasn't too bad, what was the pain was keeping Lino from trying to jump out into the train tracks...well it looked like that was what he was trying to do, he was trying to play that's for sure and it was too close to the edge for my liking but I had this massive beast of a stroller in one hand and Shaun strapped to me so I was a little helpless. Thankfully he somewhat listened to me and didn't kill himself! We had a short walk to the playground but we stopped on the way to get a little snack...the market there is pretty nice. Everyone says they have amazing pastries & sandwiches so we will have to try it out one day...today it was just scones and crisps (aka chips). Then on to the park...it couldn't have been a 7min walk but by the time we got there Lino and Shaun where passed out. I didn't feel like bothering them so we sat in the parking lot for about 30min...they slept and I blogged ... People walked by us and looked at me like I was crazy but I didn't care...

Knocked out at the park 

Shaun didn't sleep long and was first to get up...u thought he would wake Lino but all he did was curl up into a ball because he was cold (that's what I assumed was the issue). The weather here changes so quickly you basically have to be prepared for everything in one day...when we left the apt it was sunny and warm (around 65-70 maybe) then 2hrs later it was overcast and in the mid 60s and an he after that it was 50's and raining...geeze. So Lino was all sleep and I couldn't get hkm to wake up for nothing so I just put Shaun's little blanket on him and let him sleep. I talked to one of the moms there and tried to wake him up again be sure she had a 3tr old grandson who was there and there wasn't that many kids there so I thought they might play together..,no dice. Then it started to sprinkle and the clouds got really dark..,I just knew the sky was going to open up and all the rain was going to come down on us...so I texted Mike to see if he could come and get us sooner but no response...u figured as much since he had a tour today I knew he would be busy. Oh brother. So I took the stroller and pushed it under one of the slides for a little shelter. A few min later it started raining and all the people scattered except us :-)  hahahaha. Thankfully the weather changes quickly so it only rained for about 10 min. And Lino woke up during the rain and ate his snack and was like "we're at the park mommy!" Hahahah...yeah kid we have been here for about 45 min now but thanks for that clarification...too funny. So even tho it was raining (just barely actually) Lino was ready to play. So we made do and had a good few min out at the park before Mike came to get us.  Being the social bee that I am, I chatted with another mom and got some good local info. She TX me about the primary school there and urged me to get Lino's name on the list this Sept so I guess I will have to do that. She was really nice of course so I hope to see her again, Jennifer was her name. 

When Mike picked us up he wanted to drive by the house since he hadn't seen it since we picked it out in May...so we did. Then Lino started in with the 101 questions about why that was our house and why we weren't in it and when and why and who and everything else. You could tell he didn't understand how/why that was our house but that we were going back to the hotel...he just kept say why are we going to the hotel??? Why don't we go to the house?!?!?  Tough questions with no really clear answers. Anyway it was good to see it...only a few more weeks before we move in...we can't wait. This apt is getting way too small. So we get home and Mike takes Lino with him on his jog...testing out the BOB tonight. It was a quick but nice break from Lino. Mike said the BOB worked great so that's nice...that means he will be able to take the boys for a jog with him after work almost everyday...that means 1 free hr for mommy a day (maybe)...say it ain't so...thank the good lord...now if it only really happens I'll really be happy. Then dinner, bath and bed. Mike and I discusses only getting one car instead of buying two and we think we could do it especially with us living so close to Mikes work but the issue is that when anyone comes to visit us we will have to rent a car because we will have no room for anyone else. We thought it might be cheaper to rent a car the few times we had visitors but I don't think it would be cheaper really. It's just crazy that we would even consider going with just 1 car but it could actually work...that's just crazy. So we will see...maybe we will go with one for a month or so and see how it goes and if it doesn't work out we will get another car in the winter. I think Mike is going to ride his bike to/from work most days anyway so it shouldn't be an issue right now. 

So the bedtime routine for Lino continues to get better and worse all at the same time. We keep getting him in bed earlier and earlier but tonight he was all freaked out about monsters and he had to have someone in the room with him the while time. So we spent 20 min looking for all the monsters and he even made Mike take him outside to make sure there were no monsters out there...I was just in ah. He never talked about monsters at home so it's just crazy for him to be in tears about them today. Mike felt so bad for him so be laid down with him instead of me. He went to sleep easy after that big I know he is going to be up in the middle of the night screaming because of these stupid monsters...geeze o peez o...I feel like I should change this blog to the sleeping adventure or something like that...it's such a challenge at this age but I guess it has to be hard for him too. Poor baby...well lets see how long he sleeps tonight. I hope Shaun sleeps longer than 45min at a time too...that sure would be nice :-)

Oh this is Lino and daddy fighting before bed...Lino the stunt devil made me take his picture so I'm adding it to the blog...





Thursday:

What a horrible night of sleep...can you really consider 6-8 45min segments of rest "sleep"??? I really don't think so but that's about what I got last night. Then around 3:15am when my big boy decided to join us those 45min segments became 45min of dodging car land-minds!!!! Lino is obsessed with bringing a billion cars to bed with him and even when he's making his invasion to our bed he brings along about a million cars with him...the bed is literally filled with little car bombs. And everytime I would roll over I would get a bomb in my boob, shoulder, thigh, stomach and face...only safe place was where my feet were and the only reason for that is because he is still a shrimp so he wasn't able to stuff the cars that far down the bed. God almighty...I can not believe this is just getting worse by the day. So those last couple hrs of rest were dangerous...I was so uncomfortable that I just got up...even tho I was still tired. Mike had just got up not too long before me and we were deciding if we should wake the sleeping monsters so that I could take Mike to work or just let them sleep...before we decided Lino and Shaun were up...well Lino was up and running cars over Shaun's face so of course Shaun woke up. If you ask Lino it made Shaun happy to have the cars rolled on his face...dear God. So we all plopped in the car to take Mike to work. Well, it wasn't that easy I guess...we had to do a bit of negotiating with Lino and I had to bribe him with Jungle World to get him to go peacefully...unbelievable. When we dropped Mike off there was a truck making a delivery and Lino insisted on staying to watch the truck...I knew it would be there for a while so I tried to drive off once it docked but he wasn't ready...we had to sit there for about 10 min and I had to roll the window down too so that he could hear the truck...that kid is a mess...he loves his trucks. So we got home, had breakfast and got out of the door to go to the coffee morning with was at Jungle World in Middleton. I had never heard of it but it sounded like it would be fun so we went. We were late getting there of course and there were only 3 other moms there (must not be a popular place). There was another 3yr old boy too so I thought this would be a great time for Lino to make friends but that boy, Dara I think, was having a bad morning. You could tell he was tired because everything his mom did just would set him off...poor boy & mommy. So we tried to get them to go into the structure together but it wasn't happening...oh well. So Lino played alone for a long while in the toddler section because he was a little afraid of the maze part and the other moms said I couldn't go in with him (which is ridiculous).  Even after all the other moms left he wasn't ready to go so we just stayed and played. Eventually he found another boy that wanted to play with him, I was so happy, so finally he had a friend and he was finally exploring the place. They seem to have a good time so I started to talk to the boys mom...I thought. Come to find out it was his Aunt, she was nice and we spent the day  there chatting and watching the boys play. The boy, Adam, was 5 and I could tell Lino prefers to play with the older boys...I think he's just use to playing with his play brother Derrick in Texas...regardless it was a good thing because when Adam would do something Lino would do the same. So at lunch time, when Adam was eating all his lunch so was Lino...he was starving I guess. 

Playing by himself...he was still having a ball...he doesn't seem to mind being by himself for a little while. 

He wanted to wrestle with Adam before they became friends...and Adam is 2yrs older than him but Lino threw him down in the balls like he was a baby...he is so rough. 

Going up the maze to the slides...

Down the slide...


So we ended up staying there until around 4 when I was finally able to get him out. I think we might come back but not if I find a cleaner place...it was a little...not so clean :-/  I'm not sure if that's the norm around here or if its that place...I really don't have any comparison here. It was reasonably priced, €6.50 for all day play and I got him lunch for €5 so not bad I don't think. Anyway, if I find a cleaner and closer place we might only go when there are coffee mornings there.  But Lino had fun and found a friend so it was a good day!!!!



Next we went to Tesco to pick up "a few bits" as they would say here. And by the time we were leaving Lino was falling asleep in the cart. The lady at the check out was laughing at him and said I should take a picture and put it on Instagram...and as I was about to snap he work up...he remembered that I said he could ride one of the rides when we were done. So I quickly raced him out of there while I had the chance...so no picture. We went to get Mike next then headed to a used car lot to test out a couple cars we saw online. I'm still getting use to the roundabouts and I missed one of the exits...like 2x's. Mike was like, can't you count??? It's not that hard...thanks Mike...obviously I missed it...hahahaha. I know he was just trying to help but for some reason I still freak out at roundabouts that I'm not familiar with. Anyway, we made it there and one of the cars seemed ok but we might go a different direction. We are suppose to meet up with this guy on Fri to look at a small SUV so we will see how that goes. It's crazy tho, the cars we looked at where all dirty on the inside. I mean it looked like the previous owner dropped the car off and that was that...no vacuuming, detailing, or anything...really weird. I'm pretty sure when we buy a car we will have to get it cleaned ourself because they just don't do that normally...totally bazaar to us. After that we were going to head home but Mike was out of his favorite Supervalu bread so we went there to get it...and Lino or a cup cake of course. It's crazy the amount of sweets that kid is eating here...way more than he would if we where home and way less than what most of the other kids have on a regular basis...it's so different. I guess I should lighten up a little about the sweets, it's not like he only eats junk all day so a couple treats here and there won't kill him...right???  On the way back him Lino informs us that he needs to go potty...great...so that meant I had to take the crazy way back to the apt because its a little quicker (at least at that time of the day). I totally didn't want to go up that crazy small street but I had to...I don't know why I hate it so much but I do...it makes me really nervous when someone is coming down the street and I'm always nervous I'm going to hit the oncoming car or a wall...now I'm having to race up this freaking street because my 3yr old has to pee...not an ideal situation...but I did it. Everytime a car would be coming I would cuss...hahaha...and the second time a car was coming I actually scrapped the crap out of the passenger side mirror!!!! Neither one of us realized I was that close to the wall...oops...good thing it's a rental. At that point I was really a reck but it was almost over...thank God. We made it out and that was the only real damage...I hope I don't have to do that again. But now I can see why all the cars have scratched up side mirrors and a lot of the newer cars have automatic side mirrors...where they will go in and out with a push of a button so you can get thru tight spaces without killing your mirrors. Who would have thought that would be a valuable commodity...I never would have thought. I think we will add that to the wish list for our car :-)   That was about all for our night. I made Mike eat bagged soup because it was something we got with our welcome package. He was beside himself about eating it and I told him it can't be much worst than Campbell's tomato soup that he loves...point taken he tells me. In the end, it was fine, it was like chilli but tomatoe soup at the same time...weird. I wouldn't say we will buy it ourself but it worked for our grilled cheese dinner.  Other than that, we tried to get Lino to bed early but we started to play with the Siri and it was just hilarious to hear him talking to it and seeing what the response from Siri was going to be...it's the little things. Well, I'm praying to the sleep gods that both boys are wore out and will sleep all night...well..,at least Lino...please dear God...please!

Lino singing to Shaun in the bath...too cute...




Friday:

I really think I should change this blog to the sleeping adventures of the Cutaia's...it's just funny the lack of sleep we get around here. So I got to bed around midnight (I was up waiting on the laundry to be done, damp, so that I could hang the clothes before bed). And Shaun was up at 2:30am...not bad considering he was sleep around 11:15. But after that he was up almost every 30min...what's up with that??? He must be going thru a growth spurt or something because he is eating like made and sleeping barely at all. I hope it ends soon...other than that it was a Lino and car free night...sweet!! He must have been wore out from Jungle World. It would have been even better if I could have slept until Lino got up but Shaun decided to get up at 6am...seriously Shaun?!?!? So forget that. Lino was still sleep when Mike was ready to go and I finally was able to lay back down with Shaun so I told him to go and we would take the train to Little Island to do the car exchange. So Lino was up at 9 and as slow moving as he is we missed the 10:15 train so we had to wait until 11 to go. I was planning to go to the Glanmire play group at 10:30 but since we were running so late I didn't think I would make it. So in the mean time we walked around the train station, per Lino's direction. Then we took a quick train ride to meet up with Mike. I had to take advantage of the moment, Lino wanted to take a picture with me on the train...oh so sweet...I love that kid!!!!!


Actually he went to the train station at 10 looking for us because I told him we were going to get on the 10am train...but since we didn't get to the station until after 10:15 he didn't know wee weren't going to make it. Anyway, good thing it's only a 5 min drive for him so it wasn't that big of an issue (I don't think). So we made the exchange and I headed to the play group...late but what the heck. Martha wasn't going to make it, we had planned to meet up there but one of her little ones was sick so I had to find it on my own. Eventually, I found it, but I was super late and they were getting ready to leave. But I got there in enough time to meet a few moms and for Lino to play for a little while. I'm sure we will be back next week because its a pretty big group and I think Lino will enjoy it. On the way out, one of the moms that I met introduced me to her daughter and she remembered me from the park last week. She was part of that girl group that was playing we Lino...I didn't exactly remember her but I'm sure we are pretty memorable...it was cool actually. It's just crazy how small Cork is...everywhere we go we meet someone we know. After that we headed to the Glanmire park, it was close. But we were delayed getting to the park because the circus was setting up near the parking lot and Lino insisted that we go see them...another 20min wasted from my life. Eventually we made it to the park but no one was there except the cleaning crew so after a few min we decided to leave and go to the other park in Glounthaune. By the time we made it there Lino & Shaun were both out ...and I was pooped from my lack of sleep so we all napped in the car. We are such a car napping family :-)   After about 45 min I was up but the boys were still out...I let them sleep if course. After about 1hr 45min it was about time to get Mike so I woke Lino up to get something from the store then we headed to get Mike. We had to wait a little because we were early and Lino hatted waiting...he kept telling me to leave daddy...to funny. Ten he started in with the million & 1 questions about why daddy had to work. And when Mike finally got out Lino's first question to him was "did you make money?" Then... "Can I see it?" It's great, the things kids say. 

We went to look at a car after we got Mike. It was actually a nice Santa Fe but it felt so big compared to the car we've been driving. We can't decide if we want a big car or 2 small ones...when I drove it I just felt like I was in a beast if a car even tho it's actually not that much bigger than some of the other cars. It was actually the mixes car we have seen, clean inside and minor damages on the outside...a definite contender. While we were in the parking lot I saw one of my favorite signs so I had to take a picture...not sure why I like it so much but I laugh everytime I think about the release fee...



Before we vould leave, Lino insisted on driving Shaun back to the hotel...is he 3 or 33???  So grown and demanding already...




We will go and see a few more cars over the weekend and hopefully get a better idea what size will work for us. Then to Mahon Pt to get phone cases and something for dinner...and some wine because its been that kinds of day/week. We got home and Mike took Lino with him for a jog while I made dinner...a nice break. After dinner Lino wanted to burn some energy so we made him do sprints up & down the parking lot for like 30 min. Then he wanted to play gotcha so him & Mike ran up & down the stairs trying to scare me, while I ride on the elevator. It was such a work out for Lino, and Mike!  Lino was out of breath but having so much fun that he didn't want to stop. He took a little break and rode with me & Shaun on the elevator once but that was it. After 20 min of racing up & down the elevator and after one of the residence gave us a dirty look for being loud we went to the apt. It was good fun, Lino had a ball and worked out a bunch so he should sleep good...God willing. 

Mike was on night night duty so I got a little break...just enough time to have a glass of wine. We had kept Shaun up for over 4hrs so after his bath he crashed and burned quickly. Lino was asking to get out of the tub (which he hardly ever does) and he laid down with no fight at all. So even tho it's 11pm, the boys went down so easy (less than 10min for Lino) and I think we will get a good nights rest. Before that...Mike & I will enjoy some of the cake that I thought wasn't going to get eaten (but it's all gone now...we are such pigs) and some sling box TV. Finally get some cuddle time with the hubby. Please God let the boys sleep in tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment