Saturday 17 August 2013

Bees & Wasp or Texas Fire Ants????

Rainy start to the weekend...Lino was up restless early this morning...around 630 or 7 I think. He tried to sleep more but it didn't seem to work then he wanted Mike to go watch cartoons with him...I was shocked. He actually wanted daddy and not mommy...thank God. So they got up and Shaun and I stayed in the bed for another hr...it was a quick hr too. We finally got our lazy butts up and got ready for the days adventure. We had planned to go to Liberty Grill for brunch because I heard they had the best brunch in Cork city then we were going to go see another car...hopefully the last one. We talked about walking there since it was close to city center but since  it was raining I just assumed we would walk. But Mike was excited about walking, God only knows why, so I tried to be a good wife and said we could walk. He had went outside to do something and he came back in and said it was only sprinkling so it shouldn't be bad...so he had me convinced that I wouldn't get drenched like we did when we walked to dinner a few weeks ago. So we got the boys all strapped into the BOB and I put my hooded jacket on, it's not a rain coat...I don't have one and they are super expensive here (at least I think so) so I haven't bought one but I might be buying one this weekend. We pack the umbrella and a jacket for Lino just in case and Mike go outside with shorts and a polo shirt...no jacket or even umbrella...he loves the rain. We start out and the rain was coming down harder than a drizzle but not all out raining either. We go about 3 min and I was starting to get soaked...5 min later Mike pulls out the umbrella because he's getting soaked too. Five min after that we looked at each other and the bus that just picked up some wet people and we shook our heads at each other. Almost in unison we said, maybe we can take the bus back...OMG...we were all wet at this point and regretting the decision to walk in the rain. So I told Mike to go back and get the car and I would wait with the boys at the bus stop for him. It seemed like only 5 min passed and the rain had went from down pour to sunshine...oh the weather in Ireland. I knew Mike was laughing about it too but I still wanted the car...you just never know when the clouds are going to open up and the rain start streaming out. Lino didn't understand why we weren't going anymore...he was upset his little stroll was cut short. Shaun didn't seem to care one way or the others tho

Waiting at the bus stop for Mike

Shaun gave me a little smile when I asked him of he was all wet



So in true Irish form, Mike pulls the car over and parks illegally so that we could pack everyone up in the car. I thought Mike might be annoyed with me a little since the rain had stopped and I made him get the car but he wasn't. He was happy I made the effort!!! How sweet...I knew he wanted to walk and I know he doesn't mind the rain at all so I wanted to give it a try but I knew I would be super cranky if I kept getting wet. Anyway he was happy I tried and I was happy he didn't make me keep going :-).  So a 5 min car ride later and we were downtown. The restaurant was close to where we parked so if it started raining again we wouldn't get completely soaked. So I knew this place was popular and small but I didn't expect such a que. The guy inside said a 10min wait but it was more like 30min I think...since the rain had stopped we stated outside and waited. Plus Lino could run around outside before it was time to sit and eat. This is us enjoying a quick moment...my phone camera was all fogged up because of all the rain when we were walking...anyway it makes the picture have a little character. 



The wait was more than wort it...I had French Toast with bacon bananas, Mike had Eggs Benedict something and Lino had pancakes. And no one had anything left on their plates!! Really good food and pretty good price for city center...a definite repeater. I know it's American food but it was good!

Enjoying brunch with the boys


We finish brunch and we took a walk to this chocolate cafe or something that Mike found at the Midleton farmers market. It took us a while to find it because google maps suck but eventually we did. Mike got a coffee and a huge brownie and Lino got a brownie too...for being good...but he wasn't really that good but whatever. Lino and Mike love their chocolate...it's pretty cute. So we make it back to the car and I call the car people to see if its ok if we still come by, even tho we are a hr later than I had originally told them. No one answered and I sent a text with no response either so we just went back to the apt. Lino fell asleep on the 7min drive to the hotel so we just let him nap in the car and we chatted a little and enjoyed the boys being sleep. We decided since we weren't going to see the car and since the weather had cleared up we would go visit a new park today. So we took a drive to the Douglas play park...we also had planned to get take out which was near there so it all worked out. The park wasn't too crowded when we got there but after a little while it did get a bit busy. It was a nice park with a park area too. They had the zip line like Carrigaline so Lino was happy.  The park was really nice but the bees and wasp were ridiculous!!!!!! I spent the first hr running away from those stupid things and they kept going by Shaun in the stroller and freaking me out that the other moms were just laughing at me. I absolutely hate bees/wasp...HATE!!!!  They are every freaking where in Ireland. Every place we go there are a million of them. I don't know if it's because of all the flowers in bloom or of its something else but it's really bad and really annoying!!! I don't know which is worse, bees/wasp or Texas fire ants???  I can spray for the fire ants and usually know where they are so that I can avoid them but these bees...there seems to be no excaping them. I guess the only good thing about the bees/wasp is that if you get stung it's usually only one sting...with fire ants it's like a hundred little bites at once. Just the thought of a fire ant attack makes me want to cry. And you can't even stop those little bastards from biting you either...water doesn't work...you just have to pick them off...and they can bite multiple times...and the aftermath is miserable too...days of itching and being on fire and swelling...shear terror and misery.  Anyway, not sure which is worse but I'm guessing its fire ants so I shouldn't complain too much about the stinking bees/wasp!!!


We ended up spending 3hrs there I think and I made some mommy friends...well I talked to a bunch of mommies which was cool. It rained a couple of times while we where there but we sat in the rain like true Irish people and withing a few min the rain would pass...still need to get use to that. I let Shaun play a little too and he seemed to enjoy the belly time. I think I'm a little crazy because I felt more comfortable with him being on the ground at the playground than I would with him on the floor in the apt...what's wrong with me???  For some reason I have this thing about hotel rooms being germ havens so I don't like to get to close to anything if I don't have to...but at the park (a place where I know there are a billion snot nose kids and all there germs running around) I'm ok with sitting on the ground and letting my baby roll around on the ground too...what's wrong with me??? Who does that??? Oh well...like I said, Shaun enjoyed it and I made sure nothing went into his mouth :-)




After I took this pic some kid came over to look at Shaun. He was a 5yr old kid and he was pretty nice to him but he licked Shaun's forhead...I guess as a show of affection...and his mom didn't stop him...I was a little weirded out but it happen so fast so I couldn't do anything to stop it. Weird. 

After over 3hrs of play we were hungry so we went to find this Take Away place that everyone talks about...It's called KC and it's suppose to be some American that opened a restaurant in Douglas. It's just a burger place I guess but the burgers are suppose to be the best around. Mike said that sometime the que for food is over 40min long...that's crazy for take-away. Well the place was close to where we were at and we must have got there before the dinner rush because it wasn't a bad line at all. 


Even tho there was a little line when we got there they basically take your order as soon as you step imto the door and then you wait for your food to be ready. They wrap your order up in sheets of paper...it's a weird but yet unique way to do take-away. It took a out 15min to get our food then we had to find a place to eat it...so we went back to the Douglas mall.  They have little benches there and a restroom so it was a good place to take a break. I got this spicy pork blend over mayo chips...pretty tasty...Mike got a Cajun burger and chips...really good and Lino got a hamburger that he ate all but one bite of. All of that for under €16...what a score!!!!  The food was good and the price was more than affordable so we will definitely be back. I couldn't believe Lino ate all his hamburger too...if he liked it that much we know it had to be good. 

So back to the apt for the night...Lino went down really easy thank God...not even a whimper I don't think. Now hopefully his car seat cover will be dry in the morning so we can go to Supervalu...only time will tell.  The sling box wasn't working worth a crap so no TV for us...that means good old fashion talking for the night...scary thought for us but we will make it thru I guess. 

Such a good day with the boys...even tho it's not that exiting to go to the park we all had a blast. The amount of quality time we are spending with the family is so much more than what we did when we were in Texas it's amazing. I really love our days out...even if its at a park...I just love being with my boys!!! Love them all so much. 


Sunday:

Up by 7 today with Shaun...think he was ready to get his diaper changed but not really ready to wake up but it was sunny so he opened his eyes...oh well. We sat up and played for a little while then he went back to sleep and I thought I might be able to get a quick nap in to...quick it was...he barely slept 30min so that means I may have slept 10-15. Then Lino was up around 9 and Mike 9:30. We didn't have anything to make for breakfast so it was 3 bowls of cereal...cool for me because easy/no prep and easy clean-up. We sat around most if the morning and finally decided that since the weather was nice, then, that we would take a stroll then go to the city for coffee & brownies at this chocolate store that Mike is in love with the coffee...and brownies (sorry Paula)...called O'Conill's.  We walked the same path Mike jogs when he has the boys with him. We got to see the Heineken plant that's just down the street and I got to pee on the sidewalk!!!  I had to pee so bad and there are no public restrooms so I had no choice. I'm just worried about the bush I rubbed up against...if it was poisonous that's going to make an interesting GP visit for some ointment...fingers crossed! We walked about 2 miles then headed to the city center. Mike was all messed up with the directions and had us all over the place. I tried to tell him where it was at but he wasn't listening...I love him but he has a horrible sense of direction. Since its a chocolate shop and I'm not too big on chocolates I stopped to get me a muffin to munch on while Mike and Lino ate their brownies...but Lino wanted my muffin of course so I was SOL...typical. We get there and have our snack and Lino was taking advantage of the fact that you could get a little sample of chocolate drops when you go inside...so he kept going to the restroom and saying that he got chocolate as his treat for going potty...smart little kid.  Then we went across to the Crepe shop and split a crepe...we were hungry since we only had cereal 4hrs and a long walk ago ;-). Lino actually ate some which is a surprise for him but it was good so I guess that makes since.  Shaun was feeling a little left out since we were all eating solid food and all he had was milk so he snatched a ginger biscuit out of my hand. He was so happy about that biscuit he wouldn't let it go. Thankfully it was really hard so he basically used it as a teething biscuit and he let the saliva dissolve it...oh Shaun Shaun...growing up way to quickly 



Then back to the apt!!!

We made it back just before the rain started coming down and I was able to being in the clothes that I had outside before they got drenched...that's the thing about air drying your clothes outside here...you have to be close by in order to bring them inside if its starts raining. I mean it could only rain for 5min but it will be down pour for that 5min and cause you to have to rewash everything...such a tricky task. Luckily we were able to save them...I would have been pissed if I had left before the rain started...we hung out for a little while Lino watched a show...he was being a pain about leaving before the show was over so we just let him finish it. Then we all piled up on Mike for a little family love time...



Then we went to do our Sunday shopping. We had decided that we were going to get take out today because Lino was in a busy busy mood...didn't want to pin him down in a restaurant for 2hrs. So we thought it would be a good idea to try take out close to the house so we went to the Indian restaurant by the Supervalu. I had no idea if it was good or not...u just knew there was a big restaurant there. So we went in to place our order before getting our groceries...there was no one there, not a giod sign...but it was only 5 so maybe they will get busier later.  Lino had fell asleep in the car on the 10min drive there so he was super cranky. The lady gave hi a sucker to try and shut him up...it worked of course. We placed our order and got our groceries. Lino knows that everytime we go to the Supervalu he will get a "special treat" if he is good but he was being a pain when we first got there because he wanted to get the euro out of the cart with the cart key but it wasn't working and he was pissed at us because of it. I had to threaten him a couple times before he found his happy place and calmed down...crazy kid. Then he started in about his special treat...I was going to tell him no since he had been such a pain in the butt but I was to tired to fight him. I'm starting to notice that I get really stressed and agitated when we are shopping with him...he is just running around like a wild child and I feel like I have no control at all. Then I have to look out for Shaun because who knows if he's going to be happy or not or way to eat or whatever so it's a constant battle. Mike told me to just chill and relax but I can't...I don't know why...I'm just stressed at the grocery store. I need to find a way to get Lino to calm down while we shop or I might have to kill him :-)  So I gave him his treat and we ran out the door.  We spent a good 45min in there and when I went to get the food they were just finishing it up...perfect timing.  We put the groceries away and ate dinner. Lino actually seemed to enjoy his Tikka Masala...he ate quite a bit and Mike had super spicy Vindaloo that he loved but he was on fire the whole time so I'm not sure how he actually enjoyed it...I had Biryani that was so so and Shaun had white rice because again he was having a fit when we were eating and he wasn't.

Intensely trying to pick up the rice


It wasn't the best Indian food we've had but it wasn't the worst. We love going to have Indian food so it's going to be critical to find a place that we like...this one was a keeper...at least for now. Then we all watched Cars 2...I kind of cheated and fast forwarded the movie a little in order to speed up the bed time process...I think Lino might have noticed the second time but he wasn't exactly sure what I did she he didn't complain...SWEET!!!!!  I was enjoying a glass of wine during the movie and Lino decided to take a drink too...I just knew he wouldn't like it but he came back for a second drink...these are itty bitty drinks, almost like 2 drops of wine they are so small.  Then I told him that was enough and he snuck one last gulp before I could get my glass. I couldn't believe it...he can't like it that much, it's not sweet?? Mike says he has a sophisticated palat so that was why...ok, whatever. But he held that drink in his mouth for a little while and wasn't about to swallow so I made him spit it out...I reminded him that be didn't like that so don't ask for any next time. Not sure if he agrees but it was funny watching him trying to drink it.  Then bath!!!!! During their bath I tried to FaceTime with my mom but for some reason we couldn't connect...the phone just kept saying "connecting" but it really wasn't...oh well. We will have to find another time to connect. Lino was really tired so it was either going to be easy to put him to bed or a huge fight...thankfully it was pretty easy. He asked of I could sit with him and I told him no and he settled with me standing in the hallway...ok...but Shaun was giving Mike fits of hell so I had to get him...that just messed up the deal I had with Lino...oh boy. So Mike & I switched and he had to go back thru the negotiations with Lino before getting him to go back into the bed. It only took a few min and he was in the bed and within 10-15min he was sleep.  Maybe 30 min later Shaun was out then Mike and I wasn't too far behind him. 

We had a lovely weekend and continue to make progress on getting Lino back on his schedule...thank God!!!  Hopefully only 2 more weeks in this apt before we move...maybe sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment