Sunday 4 August 2013

Playground...playground...groceries

Friday:

Up at 3:30am for an unexpected visit from Mr Lino himself..."I want to sleep with you mommy". Oh brother...really?? We only have a full size bed and Shaun is usually in and out of it too so 4 Cutaia's in this bed is going to be rough. So probably for an hr or so we tried to manage it but then Mike got up and went to sleep in Lino's bed and left me with they boys...thanks daddy. Lino is like a furnace and a tornado all in one...lets just say its not easy to sleep with him. But we managed, we were all pooped. Mike got up to go to work and I woke up for just a few min, just long enough to arrange a pick up later that morning...I was appreciative of the extra sleep...then back to sleep I went. Mike must have snapped this gem right before I woke up...I didn't want to include it because I look so rough but it's only fare...look how tired we were


We actually slept until after 10...at least Lino did. So I got up and got us ready to go, it looked like it was going to be nice outside so I just got all of the boys stuff together and put it in the book bag. I figured we would just go to the park or play group after taking Mike to work...you never know when the rain is going to blow in so you have to take advantage of the sun when you can. I was going to go to the play group in Glanmire but it was already 11 by the time I dropped Mike off and I didn't know where it was so...park it was.  Lino loves the playground. So we were there for a couple of hrs and it was getting close to lunch time when Martha called me to see why I didn't make the play group. So we made plans to meet up at the park later after lunch and a nap for the little one ...at least I thought we did. We stayed at the park for another 30 min or so and started to pack up to leave when the rain decided to come down. I was so lucky that we had already started to head to the car because Lino's slow but would have got me completely soaked. But thankfully I only got partially soaked :-/  Oh and the rain was stinky...I'm not sure if it was because we were right next to the muddy river or what but the rain or the air smelled like ocean nastiness...it was horrible. I thought I was going to throw up...I never smelled stinky rain like that before...I hope that's not the normal. Anyway, we had a good time at the park and Lino's favorite words were..."I want to go higher mommy...faster mommy faster!!" He's such a dare devil and has little fear, he just loves the thrill of the rides. 

Group pic on the tracker...


This pic was in the middle of me spinning him like crazy and him wanting me to go faster. You see that seat there...well he was suppose to sit in it but that wasn't scary enough so he wanted to stand up...geeze o Lino. But he loved every min of it. 


Making friends...they were robbers (at least that's what the big kid said). 


So we headed to lunch at The Elm Tree. It was a nice restaurant and food was good too. I was just a little weirded out because on my turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich there was butter on my bread. I don't mean I had a toasted buttered bread I mean there was a smear of cold butter on the bread like it was mustard...just weird. Anyway after lunch I called up to Martha to let her know we were heading to the park and she was like, I'm heading home! Oops...so I figured out that I misunderstood her earlier. She was telling me that she was going to have lunch then go to the swings before putting the little one down for a nap. And I heard she was going to lunch then sleep...oops. So by this point I only had a couple hrs before I was going to have to get Mike from work so I thought we would just go to the park anyway then go see Martha after Mike got off. But once I actually looked at the time and my messages I realized I I had to get Mike in like 45 min so knowing what happen yesterday with the 30min play time I knew it would not be a good idea so I just went to Martha's house. I'm so horrible, I just made plans to go see her after I got Mike but here I am at her house already. I think she thinks I'm crazy, which I am, but really I just wanted to say sorry in person about the confusion and to let her know I had to pick up Mike sooner than I thought. She was so nice and it seemed to be no bother to her...amazing. So I was going to head out but she convinced me to stay, the boys were sleep in the car so I just let them sleep in the car while Martha put Tadhg down for a nap. I knew they wouldn't sleep long and before I knew it Shaun was up...then Lino. So my plans for a quick visit got changed quickly. So we all went inside and Lino played with Patrick while I had tea. I got some more info on cars so Mike and I will start looking into that this weekend. Then we talked about the rain and how hard it is to do laundry in the winter because all the clothes just stay damp. Like today, it was nice and sunny for a few hrs then down pour of rain for 10 min. So unless you are home watching the rain and your clothes on the line you could be in for more work...meaning re-washing all the clothes because they got rained on. Or you spend all day putting the laundry outside then bringing them back inside...you could do this 5-10x in a day just to get one set of laundry dry. I can't even imagine...I might die doing that...or kill someone from the frustration.  I chatted with Conner for a while too, he offered me corn beef but I'm not a fan of it at all. I guess I will have to try it again while we are here but I don't think I'll like it...we will see. Then Martha gave me a huge slice of pie, I thought it was cherry but it was rhubarb. I had just ate so I really didn't have room for pie but she didn't take no for an answer. When we were packing up to go she wrapped up the pie for me to take with me...oh Martha...we are going to get along great. She reminds me so much of me and my friend Gina...doesn't take no for an answer and she is so blunt it's great! Not sure how I got so lucky to meet her but its pretty grand.  As we were leaving she gave Shaun this hat for the winter...I think he liked it...I sure did. 


Next we picked up daddy and went to the SuperValue for a few things, plus Lino wanted a donut and he had been pretty good all day so I said yes. Martha told me to take back the size 3 diapers that I just got Shaun but I didn't have them with me, I'm going to try them and see how they work out. I mean the size 3 is 11-22lbs...that's a huge range but it should work out...right??? I'll test ten out and see...can't be any worst than the size 2 I have him in now. On the way out I ran into Michelle and we chatted for a while. She was in ah of our car seat for Shaun because it had shoulder straps. I didn't realize the kids car seats here didn't have them. And also that it's almost impossible to find a rear facing car seat...that's just crazy. It seems like the use of a car seat here is not very big. People put their infants in the front passenger seat and just turn off the air bag...that is just crazy talk to me. But like Mike reminded me, 30yrs ago that's probably what our parents were doing with us. It's just crazy how quickly things change. Anyway, it was crazy that I saw someone that I knew, it was also nice too. I'm still amazed at all the friends that I'm making. Back home we had a quite night. Dinner then everyone got on their iPads and plugged in. It wasn't very family oriented but we all got to do what we wanted...Lino watched Wreck it Ralph for the 158th time, Mike played candy crush and I watched criminal minds on the sling box...everyone was happy. We stayed up pretty late too, mainly because Mike & I didn't want to fight Lino to go to bed so we were waiting for him to get a little more tired. Finally around 11pm I got him to get into the bed. Of course he wanted me to sleep with him and he didn't want to go into the bed so we had a 2 min screaming match but he quickly submitted to my request...I think he's realizing that I mean business with this night night stuff. So I got him in bed and told him I would lay down with him after I put my pj's on...he wasn't ok with that at first but finally he said ok. So I stalled for about 15-20min flat ironing my hair (it was a frizzy mess from all the rain)...I wanted to see if he would go to sleep on his own and he did...he was so pooped I'm sure it didn't even take 5 min for him to fall asleep...thank God! By the time I got done with my hair Mike had Shaun put to sleep as well...sweet!!!!  So I raced into the bed because God only knows how long I had before one or the other woke up...

Saturday:

Lino snuck in the bed again last night...I say snuck in because I didn't even notice when the invasion occurred and when daddy was evicted. All I know is when I woke up I had my 2 boys next to me again...it was kind of sweet but still I know I'll have to break this habit when we get to the house or else it will be bad. So we hung out in the bed for a while then Lino wanted breakfast so I put shun to sleep and we went to have cereal. Lino wanted me to feed him but I was trying to do a few things so I told him to feed himself...I guess that was a bad idea. He about lost his mind, screaming that he wanted me to feed him!!! I couldn't believe it, he use to hate when I would feed him now all of the sudden he is dying because I wouldn't...good grief. So 15 min of screaming and time out we finally compromised that I would help him, he would do one spoonful then I would do the next...unbelievable. It was a slow start this morning. No one was in a big hurry to get ready and we didn't really have any plans for the day so we basically just hung out for most of the morning. Eventually we pulled it together and decided to go to the park in Carrigaline...we saw they had a nice big park when we were here looking for houses. The weather was spotty but that's Ireland so no reason complaining about it...right?

We get to the park and Lino & Shaun are sleep so we decide to take advantage of the moment and Mike called a couple if people about some cars. So we made plans to look at one after the park. Then we woke Lino up so he would have some time to play before the rain came back. This playgroung is huge and really nice, it reminds us of the playgroung by our house in Texas. They had a cool little zip line and everything...Lino and daddy's favorite I think. I got a little video of it but I can't post on here unfortunately. And while we were out at the playground it started pouring rain and everyone scattered like roaches...except Lino and Mike...Lino didn't want to leave the zip line and Mike didn't think it was that bad...guess they are ready for Ireland. So I just waited under one of the slides with Shaun until the rain went away, only took about 5 min, then they went back to playing. After a bit Lino started chasing after birds, one of his favorite past times and he found a pond that he wanted to swim in...hahahaha...not really...but he did want to see the duckies. So we hung out there for a while before heading out to see the car. It was a quick park trip but still great fun. And while we were there we saw a sign for a circus on Monday and since its a bank holiday I think we will go...nothing else better to do and I'm sure Lino will love it!  Pics from the park:

Zip line!!!



Rock climbing already Lino??

The pond...Lino & Mike are in the pic but its hard to see them because they ate so far away...if you can see the white dot that's Mikes shirt hahahaha

After the park we took a drive to see the car. It was a red Opel Astro 2003 with about 65000 miles...it was a nice little car and honestly it's probably a great deal but we just felt weird buying the first car we saw, plus we didn't have any cash so couldn't make an offer anyway. Mike took it for a test drive and it seemed to drive pretty well. I looked it over too and it was ok for me but honestly I have no idea if it was a good car or not and I wouldn't likey buy this car in the states but its Ireland and it gets 45+ mpg so can't beat that! It started raining like crazy when we were looking at the car so we kind of cut the inspection short...but I think we saw enough to make a decision.  We talked it over and decided to think about it for the day...just hope nobody decides to buy it by tomorrow...if so it just wasn't meant to be I guess. After that we came back to the apt to look for more cars but its kid of hard when you have 2 little ones both dying for attention. I also texted Martha ad my other mom friend that's from NY to see what they thought of the car deal...we needed a second opinion. Martha thought it was a good deal and suggested that we haggle them a little to see if we can cut off a few hundred € but otherwise she said it was a good car...actually it's the same car she had...just a couple years newer. My other mom friend wasn't as sure but basically she said it sounded really reasonable. So it looks like we will try to get it...if its still available.

So since we have been bums all day we went out to dinner...thought it would be easier but it was a f'ing nightmare. Made reservations for a place down in the city and Mike wanted to walk there but I told him he had lost his mind...we didn't have the stroller put together yet (tires need air still) and it has been raining like mad (off and on) so there was no way I was walking in this crap...plus we only have one small umbrella. So we drove down but we didn't know exactly where the place was. Once we parked and started to walk it started to really rain. So we were walking around, lost, in the rain, with one little umbrella. Lino and Mike were just in the rain at first and I was freakish out about Lino getting wet so I made them get under the umbrella with me which meant Mike & I were now getting soaked while Lino and Shaun were dry...the sacrifices you make for your kids. We walked for a few min and realized we were really lost so we stopped and found directions on the Internet...we were totally in the opposite direction...lucky Cork city isn't that big so that just meant we were about 5 min out of the way. But those last 5 min were the wettest 5 min because that's when the clouds really opened up and the rain was coming at us from all different directions. At this point I was so aggravated and annoyed I was just nasty...I don't like the rain to begin with then I was lost and my kids were getting wet (because by then the umbrella had started leaking so it was just dropping big drops of rain on us)...it was bad. Then Mike said "this is why I wanted to walk down here in the first place"...I almost ripped his head off!!!!!! Waking in this crap with the boys and no rain coats, no rain boots, no umbrella, no stroller, no jackets...and with my hair getting wet...you are out of your mind!!!  So needless to say not a fun 5 min walk...but we made it and I didn't melt or kill anyone so I guess it's ok. Dinner was good and thankfully the rain stopped while we were in there so it was a nice dry walk back to the car. We get back and have a quick chat with Nini & PopPop then talk to TT for a while then put the boys to bed (at freaking 11pm)...tonight went a lot smoother than yesterday so I guess Lino is getting use to the old routine.  Now if we could only get him to go to sleep at a decent time, like 830p, so Mike and I could have a few min together before bed that would be great...guess I better be happy with him just sleeping and worry about getting him to sleep earlier once we are in the house. One thing at a time. 

Sunday:

Another late start for the Cutaia's...Lino slept in his bed pretty much all night. Didn't get into our bed until around 8:30am then slept until almost 10. Lino and I made breakfast for daddy (sleepy head) then Mike and Lino wrestled in the bed. Shaun got in a few hits too and was tossed around a little but mostly it was Mike and Lino. It's so sweet watching them play, Lino loves wrestling with daddy.  While they were playing I found a little creature that I've never seen before...I'm hoping my Ireland buddies/blog readers will help to identify what the heck this is...best guess we had was some kind of spider but it never seems to move. I wasn't sure if we should kill it or what??? Since it never moves or at least hasn't moved since I saw it, I'm not sure what the harm is. Anyway...interesting Ireland bugs in the apt...



 Then it was off to do some shopping. Went to Tesco first to get a few items then to Supervalu (because for some reason we just like shopping for groceries there). I love grocery shopping for some reason...always find something interesting or funny at the stores here. Like these potatoes that looked like they were picked yesterday and brought straight in to the store. I mean they are dirty but you know they are fresh...which one would you prefer??? I think I woul prefer the fresh ones!!!  



I also got the stuff to make the cake that i had at the coffee morning in Middleton so I'm excited to make it tomorrow...even tho I have no measuring cups/spoons I'm sure it will be great!!  So we were looking for a place to pump up the tires to the stroller and totally forgot to look at Tesco. Thought about stopping at Martha's to see if they had one but decided not to. So we went to the gas station to get air even tho there was a big sign that said car tyres only (that's the Irish way to spell it). We took a chance and it worked out... 


Got home and Mike put the stiller together. It's really a running stroller so that's why it's kind of massive but it's really supportive for the kids and it even has breaks and shocks!!!! Love the BOB!!!

Then we FaceTime with the grands and TT the off for a stroll with the new stroller...the weather was kind of nice so we thought we would be able to get there and back without running into a rain storm. 

Mike really liked the stroller and he even said he will take the boys with him on his run after work everyday so that I could have a little break...now wouldn't that be nice...question is will he actually do it??? We will see. 

So we went to Amicas for dinner and Lino was being a little of a pain. I told Mike to just go get him a bag of skittles to shut him up and he was so upset...didn't want to treat him for being nasty and I told him it was more for our sanity. No reason fighting with him over sitting in his seat while we are out at a restaurant knowing that he won't even sit in the seat at home...plus I didn't want to have him falling out in public...just too embarrassing. So he went to get skittles and we ended up having a nice night out. We just like being down in the city, we didn't really get to do that often in Texas so we have to take advantage of it while we can. Once we started to head back the clouds really got ugly and I knew we weren't going to make it without getting a little wet...question was how wet?  This is what it looked like when we headed back to the apt.



It's actually pretty when it's stormy but its not good for my hair...you know I'm all about my hair....hahahaha. Anyway we didn't really make it...it started raining about 1/2 way there but we wanted dessert (don't really like the desert at Amicus) so I stopped to get us something while Mike went ahead with the boys. Once I got our snack I started jogging up the hill to catch up to them. I say jogging but it really wasn't jogging...I think my heart was about to come out of my chest I was so out of breath/shape. So I'm looking up the hill for them and I don't see anything...anyone...there is no way they are that much ahead of me???? So I really start to book it and when I pass the liquor store Mike pops out!!! Ahhh a wine stop...nice. So we started up the hill and Mike runs into a guy from work...I'm pretty sure he was laughing at us with our big stroller, running up the hill with no umbrella...silly Americans. Then up the second hill we see a car stopped and I ask Mike if that was Shocks and yup, it was. So we stopped to talk to him for about 10 min. It was funny because he just stopped in the road and was talking to us, all the card just went around him like it was no biggie...that would not fly back home. It's just so different. So he's a faithful blog reader as well, crazy...and he ask me about a sitter and offers his daughter as an option...sweet!!!  Then he ask, what does Mike do at home because there is not a lot in the blog about his role in the whole Lino drama...and I tell him...he sits and watches...that's pretty much it. Hahahaha...I think he's just scared to loose his temper or something idk...but he will help if I ask. I just have to be very specific in my request. Anyway we had a good laugh and chat and that little delay kept us from getting wet because we were under a tree. So finally we got back to the apt and Lino & Mike were at it again...wrestling...I couldn't get a good pic but basically Lino was lunging off of the couch onto Mike...it was good times. Then Mike gave the boys a bath and put Lino to bed (around 10:15 which is much better than the 12am or later bedtimes he's been having all week)...he did lay down with him but no crying tonight!!! I really enjoyed the break. I was able to have a glass of wine and finish my blog post before 11pm...that rarely happens!!!  Guess I should complain a little more often? :-)

Tomorrow is a bank holiday so I think we will stay up and watch a little sling box...a nice way to end our first week as a family in Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment