Tuesday 30 July 2013

Happy birthday,errands, planes, pee pee, tantrums and excercise...busyday(s)

First and foremost I have to say happy birthday to my big little man Lino!!!! On this day 3 years ago at 5:46pm Lino blessed us with his arrival. He was a week late but right on time based on his schedule and he has been making his own time table every since. We are so blessed to have such a great, smart, handsome, energetic and loving son. Shaun couldn't ask for more love from him, he is such a good big brother. What a blessing he has been to us and our families... We love you very much!!!!


So today we headed back to Ireland but not before completing some last minute errands...why would we wait until the last day in the states to run our errands???? Well that is just what we do.  So priority #1 is to get my toes done...they were more like monsters than toes. While I was getting a much needed treatment Mikecwas in charge of getting my cell phone fixed, the iMessage wasn't working in Ireland. He was also going to adjust my plan to something a little more basic since I would only need my phone a few months out of the year.  Then go to Walgreens to pick up pics for Nini and get some face cream for me. Then swing by CVS to get some stuff that we ordered for the mommies in Ireland.  Then he was going to pick me up and we were going to go back to the house to get the iPhone charger so we could send all the iPhone stuff to my dad (we forgot the charger on the initial trip and we were going to get Nini and Lino so we could have some brunch at the Diner...At least that was the plan. So when he got back to the nail salon he had Nini & Lino with him so I was impressed because he was a little ahead of schedule. But the reality was that he didn't get much done.  Apparently he went to get the phone stuff taken care of but they gave him too many options so he couldn't make a decision without me...of course. He got the pics from Walgreens but forgot my face cream and he did make it to CVS.  So after a good laugh we just headed to the diner. Mike loves this diner because he has been going there for years...lots of memories there, plus he absolutely loves the chicken finger wrap there. He says its the honey mustard that makes it so good but who knows. I like there French toast there too so we are all happy happy as Lino would say. Speaking of Lino this little snot goes and pee's in the car seat...this was only a 5 min car ride from the nail salon to the diner and he pees...and to make it worst we didn't have any spare clothes for him and he hadn't had an accident since the first week he was in NY. We couldn't believe it, I know he is still potty training but its just ironic that he has an accident on the last day in NY...it could be a bad sign for us...I just hope it doesn't continue like this today. So we go into the diner anyway...no time to go back to the house and fight him to change his clothes...bad parents I know...so what. While we were eating, Mike and I decided we were going to go with the no data plan and a new non-smart phone. I wasn't too trilled about it at first but really it doesn't really pay to have a smart phone and have to pay for all the features when I am only using it a few months out if the year...I get it. He asked if  I was ok with a flip phone and reluctantly I said yes...can't believe they still make those things and that I'm going to be an owner of one :-/ After brunch we had to make a stop to get Siesta from the vet then back to the house we go. When we got to the house PopPop was there with one last set of cars for Lino...he wanted to say goodbye...he left for work before they got up...he is really going to miss Lino, you can just see it. After saying goodbye to PopPop Mike heads back out to finish the errands while I packed the bags and washed the car seat and Lino's pee pee clothes...both task were not fun. So I stressed about getting everything into 2 suit cases. Nini had packed all of Lino's clothes in one duffel bag and I had all of our clothes and Lino's gifts from Sat in the big bag. Then we realized we still had an extra suit case with nothing in it ad we hadn't packed his cars yet...oh boy. Do I had to repack Lino's stuff...just annoying...but it was worth it because we got all of our crap into 2 suit cases...thank God! I finished up the packing almost at the same time as when Mike got back. So we get some stuff together and I ask him about the phone and he give it to me and my mouth drops...I knew I would possibly get a flip phone and I had prepared myself for that but when I saw what he had got me I was in shock...I have a serious antique of a phone...like I have to push the number 3x to spell out my txt messages...WTF???!!! And he paid like $50 for it..,those phones should be free! I can't believe this...now Alicia is going to be talking about me...great. 




We finally get all of our crap together and are ready to go to the airport but the direct TV people are at the house fixing the satellite. The guy was really nice but he kept trying to chat with us and we were just trying to leave...it was funny...especially because I don't think he got the hint. Hahahaha. But eventually we were ready to head to the airport. When we said our goodbyes to Nan I could see her start to tear up...I don't ever remember her being emotional about us leaving so this made me feel bad. So I had to go back for a second hug...and then she made me cry...I can't believe this. I guess it is kind of sad that we are moving to Ireland but I kind of see it about the same as us living in Texas...at least as far as Nini and PopPop visits but it's not exactly the same I know. Anyway I was not planning in crying...I just don't do that unless I'm pregnant...and I better not be pregnant!!! Lino was excited to ride in the air plane, he loves air planes so at least we didn't have to fight him too much about that. He was a little bummed out that he couldn't go swimming but otherwise he was fine...it did kind of suck because the weather was perfect for swimming today but it wasn't yesterday...if only the days were switched. We make it to the airport with plenty if time, in prep for the battle with the tickets. We are all saying goodbye and Nini goes and starts tearing up...not another one ;-(  Nini usually doesn't take us to the airport so I don't know if she usually cries when we leave but I know I never see her tear up...I'm guessing she usually does shed a tear or two because it may be a few months before she sees us again but this just seem so much more sad. She had me balling...the goodbye hugs were long and firm so I knew she was really going to miss us...that includes missing me...her crazy daughter-in-law. I can't imagine how it feels, I mean she spent every day with Lino for the past month and he was like a shadow to her and now he will be gone across the ocean. Even with FaceTime it's not the same as seeing and hugging him in person. I guess it's a double edge sword...breaks my heart. And you can tell Lino is going to miss them, he told Nini that he was going to see her in 2 months when she came to visit but then after that he was like "is Nini coming on the plane with us?" Just typing it makes me sad again. So after the wet goodbyes we get all checked in (with no issues) and headed to the admirals club for a quick preflight drink. Mike is like platinum or executive platinum or some crap like that because of all his Ireland trips so we get to take advantage of it...plus we get to fly business class for our relocation trip...kind of makes it a sweet deal. Then it's time for the flight...Lino loves the planes...LOVES...so I had to take a pic of his first international plane...




The birthday boy enjoying the perks of business class...that's just OK for those wondering. I didn't get a chance to test out any sleeping aids on him before the flight so we are going to wing it. I was praying that he would go to sleep pretty soon after the flight took off but that wasn't the case...




He couldn't wait for the flight to take off before starting cars on the inflight TV...he is so not going to sleep




Some time during the first hr of the flight Lino springs a leak in his diaper and his pants were all wet...great. And again, parents of the year, we didn't have a spare pare of clothes or another diaper for him. So me being the resourceful mommy that I am, I put his pants in the side pocket of the seat to dry and I have Mike put one of Shaun's diapers on him. I know it's like 3 sizes to small but those side tabs have a lot more stretch in them than what you would expect...plus I was in a pinch and didn't have much choice...anyway I know we are horrible parents we get it but the kid was fine. I had to keep the blanket on him just so that the people around us didn't think we were to trashy...hahaha  Then 2.5hrs into the flight...Lino is wide awake and enjoying his chicken rice dinner as he watches Wreck it Ralph...good thing I'm use to functioning on little to no sleep


So sometime around 11pm EST which was about 4hrs into the 6hr flight, Lino decides to go to sleep...I was so happy that I just closed my eyes to try and get a few winks in before he gets back up. Thankfully he slept the rest of the flight and we had to wake him up when we were de-boarding. We knew it was going to be a bad rest of the day since he only got 2hrs of sleep and we had to wake him up but what else could we do?  Thankfully his pants dried so we were able to give him some pants so that we didn't have to walk thru the airport with him in his diaper.


We had to connect thru Heathrow which is a nightmare of an airport. It is super huge to begin with then it's under construction so it just makes it extra complicated and frustrating. But we get thru it and get to our next flight. At this point Lino was ready to take off his way to small diaper and he agreed to go pee pee...against my initial hesitation I let him go diaperless. It didn't seem to be an issue until after we got off the plane in Ireland. First of all we were seated in all kinds of crazy spots and not sitting together. We weren't the only family like that either, I heard 2 other families complaining about their young kids having to sit by themselves because the airline had split the whole family up. We somehow managed to get Mike and Lino a seat together but it wasn't easy and I was stuck in a middle seat all the way in the back..seriously?  Anyway, it was a quick 1hr flight and I actually got to close my eyes for about 25min so that was nice. But when the plane was about to land, I could hear Lino crying up front...no telling what set him off. He is super tired so the smallest of things will make him break out in tantrums. So after finally getting off the plane and meeting up with Mike and Lino I realize that Mike was all wet...what could that be from??? Only one thing...Lino pee'd on him during his tantrum...oh boy. So I get the update from Mike that Lino went crazy when he told him to put his shoes on...seriously? Anyway the end result was a crazy tantrum and daddy being pee'd on. Again, no spares no diapers except the 3 sizes to small ones so...we just carried on. We are such a mess. But at this point Lino was another person and totally out of his mind...tantrum after tantrum after tantrum so we just held him so that he would be happy. When we go to the customs gate he was done with daddy so I had to carry him and Shaun...good thing I'm strong. I did feel bad for Lino but Mike was just annoyed...I know it's because he was tired too...like me...it was just a hopeless situation for all of us. 


Finally we make it back to the apt...only a 15 min drive from the airport but Lino was passed out and so was Shaun. So we (minus Mike) all passed out for a good 1.5-2hrs on the couch. It took every ounce of strength I had in me to open my eyes and try to become functional but somehow I did it...I didn't like it but I did it...I guess Shaun crying kind of helped too. The next task at hand was to wake up Lino...this is like a cardinal sin in our book. We never like to wake Lino from a nap but every once in a while you have to do it...today was one of those days. So for about 20 min I picked and poked and shook him to get him to wake up and this is all that I got...

Poor baby was beat...I felt bad about waking him but it was already almost 2pm and if I let him sleep much longer he wasn't going to go to bed until 3am...so I was praying for a miracle. Finally he wakes up and he is even more cranky than he was after the first flight so the only way I could get him to stop crying and be coherent was to tell him we would go to the park...he was pretty happy about that. It wasn't a bad idea anyway so we went with it. We headed to the park in Glanmire and decided we would walk to the SuperValue after hex was done playing. When we made it I the park he was still pretty happy...thank God so he played for over 2hrs!!! I say he played but he really spent a lot of time on the outdoor workout equipment that I'm guessing was intended for the adults...he wasn't the only one so I guess it was fine. He was so cute on the workout equipment...he just knew he was doing something. 






While we were at the park I texted my friend Martha to see if she wanted to meet Lino. I didn't realize he had texted me back until we got to SuperValue and since we were still in the area I was able to "ring her"...actually she called me to invite me over but it was almost a true "ringing". It was good to see her and for the boys to meet. Her oldest was a little shy of Lino but I think it's only a matter of time before they are buddies. It's just crazy how she was able to whip out coffee, tea and cookies just for our visit...I have to get use to this and I need to prepare our house for such drop ins. It's a little stressful but if all the people are as easy going about this it won't be that big of a deal...anyway it was nice to have a chat with little notice. So she old me she found my blog and was reading it...it kind of made me embarrassed because she was in a lot of m post but she didn't seem to be bothered by it. I'm glad because I really like her and I would hate for the blog to cause any issues. So she was trying to help us out with a few things...like my diaper issue...apparently I need a size 4 for Shaun!!! I can't believe it...and that was like salt in the wound because I just bought a size 3+...which says 11-22lbs...what kind of size range is that??? Damn Ireland diapers. Then she also told us about her mechanic and said he would be able to help us with finding a car, or at least be able to heck out the car before we buy it so that was really helpful. We also got the lowdown on what cars are good and which ones are not worth the money...like FIATS...her view on them was "Fix It Again Tomorrow". We were dying laughing...very funny but good info. Anyway, a nice visit and Shaun had fun playing with his new friends...



We headed to dinner after that...we felt bad staying too long but I know it was probably no issue for her. We tried to find this one restaurant and walked around Douglas for 15 min looking for it with no luck. Finally we just went to some hotel restaurant. After dinner we went home and I put the boys in the tub...both were completely filthy plus I was praying a nice warm bath would put them to sleep...but no! Shaun went I sleep about an hr after his bath and at 2:30am while I am finishing my log post Lino is still going strong watching Wreck it Ralph for the 10th time today on one iPad and truth to play Candy Crush on the other one...seriously?  I put him in the bed around midnight but he fought me about having his iPad in the bed with him and is I gave in...hoping that he would still fall asleep after the movie was over...but no...and I knew it was a long shot but just was thinking he had to be exhausted so it should work...NOPE! So I made him a snack and tried to bribe him to bed again and still no luck...geeze o peez o. So as I end this post, I am praying to the sleep Gods that my 3yr old will go to sleep with little resistance once I turn off the movie. Mainly I just don't want a complete melt down and for him to wake up Mike, Shaun and the neighbors...only time will tell. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home, even though it sounds like a crazy adventure. Nice shirt Shaun! I can't wait til I come over and ring you, you can serve me tea and crumpets... ha ha.

    Love you guys,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally we feed people i did offer sausages and things like that. If ya visited yesterday ya would have got stew. Conor has a friend that arrives around dinner time to get dinner. Its kinda normal to feed who ever arrive. Tried to feed you homemade soup first visit if ya remember. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha you are great...just not use to stopping in on people and eating with them without making plans to do so before hand...but yes you did offer us food and I know you will feed us...you're an amazing hostess!!

      Delete