Wednesday 31 July 2013

Rain, sleep (not for mommy), trains & super moms to the rescue!

So just as soon as my last post ended the next days post begun...

Lino wouldn't go to sleep unless I laid down with him. Now usually this is a big no no but since I knew he was still jet lagged and I know Nini would lay down with him sometimes plus I was dog tired I  did it. I don't think it took 5 min for him to fall asleep and it only took me 5.5min...I think I got up 15 min or so later to actually go to bed. I couldn't have been asleep for more than 30 min before the little one was up and fussing at me...I guess I can forget sleeping. I was up and down with him at least 3x and by the time Mike left for work Shaun wasn't going back to sleep...great! So reluctantly I got up. I already knew it was going to be a bad day...the only question was how bad. So Shaun was up for a few hrs but he was cranky the whole time...I was worried he was going to wake Lino up before he was ready which would not have been good for anyone. Finally around 11-11:30 Shaun went to sleep...I was half tempted to go to sleep too but I was past the point of going back to sleep at that point so I just got on the computer and started looking for flights for Christmas. The weather was pretty crapy, cold and rainy, so not much else I could really do...it was really a stay in bed kind of day but I don't think the boys got that memo


So not even a hr after Shaun went down Lino was up...nice hand off.  But I could tell right away that he wasn't his self. He told me good morning and gave me my morning kiss but then he sat into lap and laid his head down...didn't ask for a car, the iPad, eggies, juice, nothing...totally not him. I asked him the usual questions and he was just content with sitting with me. That lasted for about 2hrs...with the last hr being spent with me rocking him back to sleep as he wined about not feeling good (that's because I asked him if he was feeling ok and he said no and then all hell broke loose). I knew he was tired so I was just praying that he would just go back to sleep. Finally, around 12:30pm he does and I mean moments after he was sleep in my arms I heard Shaun starting to get fussy...really Shaun. I barely had enough time to get him into the bed before Shaun really got upset, but somehow I did it. I couldn't believe that they were tag teaming me like that. I guess it was better than having 2 fussy kids in my lap at the same time...so I guess I should stop complaining. Shaun's mood was a little better, thank goodness so I was able to put him in the swing for 5 min so that I could brush my teeth and make me a quick egg to eat...when he's happy he's happy...when he's not its not good!

Happy happy Shaun Shaun!!!!!

During my 5 min of breakfast making I decided to try out a new contraption...new for me. Martha was using it yesterday when she made us tea and I never really knew the purpose but this kettle boils water in like 90 sec flat...maybe less. So I did a quick experiment to see if the kettle or a pot of water would boil faster...obviously the kettle won but it was just crazy how quickly it boiled. I mean there were bailey any bubbles in the bottom of the pot and the kettle was already roaring. Really cool...and handy...defiantly will need to make sure the house has one of these or make sure to get one!


Shaun and I played for a little while but mostly we fought...he didn't know what he wanted but I knew I wanted him to go to sleep...neither of us were winning. At some point I got a break and I almost cried because I was so tired...it was bad...I knew I was tired and that I was either going to have little patience or just let the kids run the house...neither were good options. Since I knew I wouldn't get much sleep napping with Shaun I just stayed up and watched a little TV...and I mean a little. Shaun was back up first, around 2:45, he's all about cat naps these days. Then I realized that Lino has been sleep for a while and it's getting to that critical time...the point of no return time...if he sleeps past about 4 it's going to be a full knock out drag out for bed...so I was debating on if I should just wake him up...again a big no no normally. I wasn't feeling it so I let him sleep some more...my poor baby is beat...he can't even open his eyes


U let the sleeping bear sleep and gr woke up in his own and happy around 4...perfect timing...he should be good and tired around 10pm...God willing. The rest of the afternoon was uneventful. Lino played with Shaun and sang him songs when he was fussy...he was a big helper and super cute


He was finally hungry so I made him eggie eggies and sausage...I know it's almost dinner time but I didn't care...he wanted that to eat so I made it...as long as he's eating. Then we decided to put the train tracks together which was fun and challenging. Gina gave him this huge box of tracks and cars before we left and I told him once we got to Ireland we would put it together so we did. But putting a curvy track together isn't as easy as it sounds. He wanted me to use specific pieces so u had to make a bridge then curve it around to go under the mountain then curve back around so that it all connected...hard work. Hahahaha. It wasn't that hard but it did require me to use a few brain cells which I was pretty much out of for the day...we did have a lot of fun putting it together and he loved it so it was more than worth it...thanks Auntie Gina!!!!


We added some more pieces to the track and still had a tub full of stuff...when we get to the house I know this is going to be on display so that he can use it when ever he wants. Mike will have fun putting it back together with him I'm sure.  

So we tried to do our normal night routine...dinner, play/TV, bath then bed but Lino must have forgot the routine because he wasn't interested in it. He didn't eat dinner which I figured since he had just ate a few hrs ago, he was all for TV (especially since he had been watching Wreck it Ralph since we sat down for dinner), he wanted nothing to do with bath and I had to bribe him with the iPad to get in. We had an OK bath but once it was time to stop laying and do washy washy he was not feeling it. I had to fight him about that, fight about brushing his teeth then the real fight about going night night. He was clearly exhausted and I knew it...he knew it...but he didn't want to go to sleep. So I tried to negotiate with him...not my normal approach but I had to keep in mind the jet lag and the detox phase from Nini & PopPop's. he didn't like any of my suggestions he only wanted to watch TV but I knew he wouldn't go to sleep so I told him no. So long story short it took about an hr of crying before he gave in...I actually felt bad for him  so once he calmed down I smothered him with kisses and hugs and told him like 100x that I loved him and thank you for listening to mommy. He seemed to be happy with the attention and I know it's going to take a little while for him to get use to sharing our attention but I can't just let him run all over me because he's having a tantrum. So the final straw was that he didn't want me to read him a book (even though that's how we have been putting him to sleep for the last 2yrs) he wanted me to sleep with him...really Lino?!?!  At this point I was exhausted and I told him I would lay with him after I finished my work...that was the wrong answer...so I had to quickly stop the water works from beginning and I gave in and laid down with him. It's nice to cuddle with him but I know I can't so that every night and still deal with Shaun. The good and the bad thing is that they both want mommy so it's kind of hard to pawn them off on daddy...guess we will figure it out at some point. But for now I must sleep while I can...even tho sleep is clearly over rated...you can ask any mom!

So this blog goes out to all the moms out there. What amazing beings mom's are...being pulled in 100 different ways for the sake of the family and is always the last one to treat themselves...God knew what he was doing when he crated women...rock on fellow sleep deprived zombie mommies...rock on!!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad Lino likes the trains! Hang in there buddy.You will get to sleep again - in like ten years..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an amazing mom! I wish I was there to help you out!

    Love you long time.

    ReplyDelete