Wednesday 3 July 2013

Questions of the day...



Questions:

1) Why does Shaun think his pacifier is meant for chewing and not sucking?? It keeps falling out of his mouth and he keeps getting mad at me like I did something wrong. No it's you Shaun...it's a pacifier not a chew toy...geeze. 

2) Why do prenatal pills with DHA (Omega 3s) make me have fish burps?? Totally not attractive. And as Mike would say "are you worried about being attractive"...my response "no".

3) while talking to my lovely mom today she asked me if we brought a grill with us so we could BBQ tomorrow. My response: No mom, we didn't bring a grill with us but its on the sea shipment. Plus I don't think we can BBQ at the apt, it's more like a hotel than an apt anyway. It's the Best Western...hahah. Mom's response: why didn't they put you guys in the Ritz Carlton or Hilton???  Me: this is Ireland, they don't have those fancy places here. The place we are staying at is actually considered "luxury stay". Hahahaha I love questions from mom 



3) what is a leisure club you might ask?  It's a gym. Most of these leisure clubs are at the hotels. Probably because its expensive to have one and the hotel guest usually want one so its at the hotel but anyone can join or get a membership. 

4) what is fouling?  A dog starting a camp fire from his ass...at least that is what is looks like from this sign.
But the truth is, Fouling = crap

5) Does this sign mean there is no "fouling" in the city? Answer (in Irish): "ah yeah, I saw a bit of fouling I did boy."  Translation... Ah yeah = yes or it could mean no so be careful. I saw a bit of fouling = I saw a huge pile of crap!  I did boy = you know what I mean. 
I thought this was the funniest thing because right under that sign was "a bit of fouling".

6) why didn't I explore more of the city today?? Well my little one actually slept in his pack & play for an hr or so, so it spoiled my plans...


7) how is the weather? Well most people in Cork like to say the weather will change within 30 min so don't get two tried about it, this I have to say is pretty true. Thankfully for me, the weather has been mostly nice, the rest if the week should be good too and into the weekend so it will be a good time to do some exploring with Mike!!!

With the few minutes we did go out we just explored the few streets by the apt. Cork and  guessing most of Ireland is very hilly. I saw a house on a hill and i was down below at another house. 

It's pretty cool because you can go down one hill and just be at the top of another hill. And at the bottom of that hill you might be in the river or at the edge of the country side. All that within a 15 min walk...it's absolutely amazing (remember I'm from Kansas where a hill for us is a rolling hill and its almost the same in Texas. 

The houses here are all cement, I'm sure it's due to the rain/moisture. In and near the city a lot of the houses are row houses. You can tell the city is just filled with history. Some houses have obviously been updated but right next door could be an old one that hasn't had as much care. Even though we did not want an attached house, they can be cute 

After our little breath of fresh air Shaun & I went back to the apt to enjoy the view...and I snuck in a few pics of us since he was in such a good mood.




As for Mike, he has nothing to add to this Blog.  I have to keep making things up for him because he is pretty boring and I want people to continue to read it so I try to make up funny stuff for him.  The truth is he has little to add...hahaha.  Oh he did want me to mention that he increased his jogging course by an extra 2 blocks!!!  So that means he might be running about 4 miles now.  That is no small feat, these hills are brutal!!!!  Otherwise, a nice dinner for us (while Shaun slept in his pack & play...he must have heard me complaining about him yesterday) and then a scone with butter.  Its not a scone like you would have in the states.  I can only describe it as a stale biscuit with raisins mostly eaten as a snack with tea around 10:30am (Mike's plant shuts down so that EVERYONE can partake in the scone & tea break...crazy).


Tomorrow is the 4th and we are trying to decide what to do since its not celebrated here and he has to work.  Might go try a new pub that Jason & Mara Vaughn recommended in Douglas (Jason worked with Mike in Arlington and him and his family were here for almost 2 yrs for a project, from 2010-2012).  Or we can have more chicken from the one glass dish I have been using to cook dinner in...guess you will have to wait until tomorrow to find out!

Night everyone!






5 comments:

  1. I have to work on the 4th too, so I feel his pain. Remember Taste of Chicago?!? That was a good fourth!

    I love all the new lingo, I can't wait to learn it and start using it.

    A tea and scone break, that's so Downtown Abbey. You should probably start watching that now.

    Love you guys,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks about the 4th...but makes me feel better that our BFF will be in the same boat as us. We will just have to make out own fireworks!! Oh, well at least you will be able to see fireworks.

      Delete
    2. No fireworks for me. Working all night, went in before dark. But, it's all good. Eddie and Angela were caught up in a dust storm at the firework show so perhaps it's better I was stuck in the Chobani castle.

      Looks like you guys had some amazing food at least:) That market looks amazing. Can't wait to go on my trip.

      Delete
    3. I'm late on reading the blog wanted to let you build up some stories then just read but have you started to pick up on a lot of the lingo out there...like with the dog sign?

      Delete
    4. Frederick, I'm glad you're reading the blog...that's exciting!!! I guess you could say we are picking up the lingo. Some of it is hard to avoid like saying half past 3 instead of 3:30...mainly because people will look at you funny. Then we say stuff like Grand when we would normally say cool or great. Then our favorite right now is saying we will do something straight away instead of right away. I'm sure we will pick up more but for right now it's just a few but they don't come out naturally...have to think about it before we say it :-)

      Delete