Tuesday 9 July 2013

Hit the heat and the streets today!

It is freaking hot here today. Cork and most of Ireland are experiencing a crazy heat wave this week. It has to be almost 80F today. And while normally this is "no bother" when we are in the states it is not as tolerable when you don't have the proper equipment to deal with it. I mean a simple fan would do some great good right now. I guess I shouldn't complain because before I know it it will be 50F rainy and gray everyday. I'm actually enjoying this weather, just wish I would have prepared better. I only brought 2 pairs of shorts and 2 tank tops because I just didn't expect it to be so hot and definitely not this hot for 2 weeks. Well good thing I'm not trying to impress anyone because I'm wearing the same thing every week 😉 

Today was my first day of driving solo!  Mike asked me how it went and the best way I could describe it was that I survived and no one died...and that's saying a lot. So I had Mike come back to the apt to get me because I wanted to go see a GP today...so after I dropped him off at work I was on my own with Shaun and the useless Garmin. Fortunately our apt is in the GPS so I was able to get home with little issue. I was so impressed with myself I thought I might venture out to a Salon to see if anyone could do my hair (black hair 😖😖). So after sitting in the car for about 20 min trying to put this what they call address into the GPS (and getting no where) Mike throws me a bone and looks up the GPS coordinates. I mean isn't that a little ridiculous? You need GPS coordinates to get to the freaking salon?? What the heck? So I get my coordinates and head to the salon...no issues getting there... NOT!!! So the GPS tells me to go a different way than Mike & I have been going this whole time, and I thought twice about listening but I was like maybe this is a more direct route...so I went with it. I should have listened to my gut. So I start up a hill and the road seemed normal, then all of the sudden where there was room for 2 cars there is now only room for 1.25 cars!!! Yikes!!!!!! So at first I'm my myself so I wasn't too freaked out, I thought maybe this road will go back to a 2 lane road soon...no such luck. So about 1/2 way down this crazy small road I encounter my first road challenge...a car is coming up the hill I'm going down, and there is clearly not enough from for both of us.  So I panic and I just stop...thinking that's the best thing to do...no need trying to make it thru, I'll just let this car pass me then I'll continue on. WRONG...so I stop and then another car stops behind me and the car coming towards me stops too...why??? Well because there is not enough room for anyone to pass. So WTF do I do??? I have to back up because there is a little side street right behind me that makes the road just a little bit wider so that cars can pass. So I had to back up...but I'm freaking out. So I back up and almost hit the brick wall on the street...so I go forward to straighten out then try it again and almost hit the wall again...after 4 attempts and 15min I managed to pull into a position that allowed the car to pass me. Thank goodness the people are nice here, she just smiled and said "tanks" (aka thanks) I say thanks back and she says "no bother". Crazy, that was no bother, really?  I'm just so glad the car behind me wasn't honking at me or anything either...that definitely would have increased my stress level by about 100%. But in the end I survived and no
one died..Thank God. 

So on the way home I had even more fun... First off, I went up a down road...big no no right...well it's even more of a no no when it's a road leading to the motor way (aka highway!). Some nice person honked at me as I illegally turned up the exit ramp of the motor way but it was too late to save me...I was already committed. But as soon as I realized I was going the wrong way a car started to come to words me...what a cookie I got myself into. So I manage to get turned around (using the exit ramp and the round about). Then I go around the round about about 2x because I can't figure out where to exit and finally I find it. So instead of going straight to the apt I take a bit of a detour because I recognize this shopping center coming up and I know that's where the GP is. So I get off to check it out and what do I find...ALDI's.
just for you Alicia...I knew the had Aldi's here but we haven't been in one.  One cool thing was that they have special parking spots for people with kids. It's like winning the lottery for an American with a huge car seat that u have to get in and out of the car. It was so nice to have enough room to open the door and get Shaun out without hitting the car next to me, I never realized how convenient the larger parking spots were until then...I might have to go to Aldi's just for that reason!??

So on the way back to the apt (no more stops) I get stuck in a freaking round about again...this time I had to have gone around 4x before I got myself out. I guess that's the best way to learn but man, can't a sista get a little break???  All on all my first day of driving solo was successful. I think I'll be ready for tomorrow's driving adventures...but I needed a glass of wine just to chill me out. I hate being stressed. 

Otherwise another relaxing evening. We had a good dinner then went to sit on the benches outside the bar. I met a nice lady that actually lives here with her husband and 2 kids. I couldn't believe it, she's been living here for almost 3 yrs. I just didn't see this place as a real apt but it is...I guess it's more like an extended stay or something...anyway it was weird to me. Wonder if she has problems with getting her room cleaned too...hahaha. 

Wish me luck for tomorrow's road adventures...I pray no one gets hurt 😊. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment